Re: [XTalk] Re: God's Prerogative

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2005
      Steve Davies wrote:

      >>In my opinion Mark portrays Jesus as acting through
      the authority of (aka being possessed by) the Holy
      Spirit of God, (received at baptism, thought by some
      to be Satan etc.)and therefore the Spirit is forgiving
      sins through Jesus, the Spirit's vehicle. Thus Mark
      would agree that only God can forgive sins and the
      question is whether this power indwells Jesus or
      not.<<

      Rikk Watts queried:

      >>If Jesus' authority to forgive sins resides in the
      presence of the Spirit, I'd be interested to know how
      this differs from the prophets, themselves apparently
      "Spirit-possessed" but who as far as I can recall
      never forgave sins. Also whereas the prophets have the
      constant refrain "utterance of Yahweh" I don't see
      anything like this in Jesus who seems to be operating
      much more out of his own authority. Can one really
      reduce everything in Jesus' unique behavior
      (vis-a-vis) the prophets to the presence of the Spirit
      as recounted at the baptism? Would it be right to
      suggest that Matt didn't seem to think so?

      At the risk of being overly pedantic, I'm not sure one
      can reduce Spirit to power. "Power" does not forgive,
      the latter being a personal attribute.<<

      Jeffery Hodges suggests:

      Perhaps the difference is that in Jesus, the Spirit is
      understood more in terms of the Spirit's presence in
      the Temple's Ark of the Covenant than in terms of its
      presence in the prophets. The Markan expression "The
      Holy One of God" may signal the difference of Jesus
      from the prophets. The expression is never used in
      this definite form of a prophet, but it does parallel
      the expression "The Holy Place of God." I have a
      rather convoluted paper on this topic that looks at
      this expression in Mark and attempts to 'flesh' it out
      (so to speak). I need to rework the paper (as John
      Poirier suggested) but haven't yet had time. I hadn't
      thought so much about the issue of the authority to
      forgive sins being a distinction, but it would perhaps
      fit with my analysis.

      I'd be willing to let others see my paper if they're
      willing to slog through it and give feedback. Anyone
      interested should contact me offlist.

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      University Degrees: