RE: [XTalk] Query: What Jewish People Think About Jesus?

  • Bob Webb
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
      Rikk,

      Don Hagner wrote a book on the subject back in 1984. You might ask him if he
      (or anyone else) has done an update.

      Bob Webb.

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
        Rikk,

        This one may be of interest:

        Gerhard Bodendorfer, "Jewish Voices About Jesus", on-line article,
        Jewish-Christian Relations web site
        http://www.jcrelations.net/en/displayItem.php?id=738

        Mark

        On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0800, Rikk Watts
        <rwatts@...> wrote:

        > Quick question:
        >
        > Does anybody know of a good survey article that deals with Jewish views of
        > Jesus? I would imagine it should run the gamut from lay to scholarly (e.g.
        > Vermes, Neusner) and from don't think at all to messianic fulfillment. Be
        > nice if it had some scholarly weight to it (footnotes on various writers
        > etc.).
        >
        > Thanks
        > Rikk

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Dept of Theology and Religion
        University of Birmingham
        Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
        Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com
      • Lisbeth S. Fried
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
          Just out of curiosity, why is it interesting what
          Jews think about Jesus?

          What do Christians think about Mohammad? what do
          they think about the Buddha?

          Best,

          Liz

          Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
          University of Michigan
          2068 Frieze Bldg
          105 S. State St.
          Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285

          _____

          Does anybody know of a good survey article that
          deals with Jewish views of
          Jesus? I would imagine it should run the gamut
          from lay to scholarly (e.g.
          Vermes, Neusner) and from don't think at all to
          messianic fulfillment. Be
          nice if it had some scholarly weight to it
          (footnotes on various writers
          etc.).

          Thanks
          Rikk

          crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:

          List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
          email to:
          ject=Unsubscribe>

          * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          the Yahoo! <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          Terms of Service.

        • Rikk Watts
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
            A friend of mine is running course on views of Jesus with a rabbi and I was
            asked I knew of something. So, given the diversity on this list, I thought I
            might ask.
            Regards

            Rikk

            On 11/1/05 12:54 PM, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...> wrote:

            > Just out of curiosity, why is it interesting what
            > Jews think about Jesus?
            >

            > What do Christians think about Mohammad? what do
            > they think about the Buddha?
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Liz
            >
            > Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
            > University of Michigan
            > 2068 Frieze Bldg
            > 105 S. State St.
            > Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285
            >
            > _____

          • Stephen Goranson
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
              Liz,

              I suggest a closer analogy question:
              What do Hindus think of Buddha?

              best
              Stephen Goranson

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
                At 10:54 AM 1/11/2005, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
                >Just out of curiosity, why is it interesting what
                >Jews think about Jesus?
                >

                >What do Christians think about Mohammad? what do
                >they think about the Buddha?
                >
                >Best,
                >
                >Liz

                Religions figure differently about prophets and other major figures. For
                example, Baha'i (and Islam, for that matter) regard Jesus as a prophet, and
                therefore regard him positively, even if not at the elevated divine rank
                Christians give to him. I think the interest is more about what happens
                within the Judeo-Christian tradition. And I am interested in what Jews
                think about the historical Jesus-- not necessarily the Christ of
                Christianity. Is he regarded as a valid prophet within the Judaic tradition
                of prophets, or a false prophet in their view?

                The question about what Christians think about Mohammad may be a valid
                question, but strays from the purpose of this list. The question of what
                Jews of the First Century thought about the historical Jesus is highly
                relevant, however. On the other hand, what 20th Century Jews think about
                the historical Jesus, if meant as a faith question, are irrelevant, but if
                meant as a question of scholarship (e.g., Vermes) is as relevant as any
                question about the historical Jesus.

                Frankly, I would be very interested in a critical exegesis of the NT by a
                team of Jewish critical scholars, or a team of Moslem critical scholars,
                simply to see what different perspective they might bring to the table that
                our usual band of exegetes might have overlooked. Just for starters, the
                KJV-RSV tradition of English translation has resulted in a kind of
                "Christianese" that sometimes blinds us to the Jewish overtones of the
                original language(s). The "Jewish New Testament" of David Stern (a
                messianic Jew) is a step in that direction, but it falls short of critical
                scholarship, from what I've heard. Is Ron Moseley's Yeshua: A Guide to the
                Real Jesus and the Original Church any better?

              • Lisbeth S. Fried
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
                  Dear Stephen,

                  It doesn't feel that way to me, but I can see how
                  it would feel that way to a Christian.

                  Best,

                  Liz Fried

                  _____

                  > Just out of curiosity, why is it interesting
                  what

                  > Jews think about Jesus?
                  >
                  > What do Christians think about Mohammad? what
                  do

                  > they think about the Buddha?

                  crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:

                  List managers may be contacted directly at:
                  crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                  email to:
                  ject=Unsubscribe>

                  * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  the Yahoo! <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                  Terms of Service.

                • Jim West
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
                    At 03:54 PM 1/11/2005, you wrote:

                    >Just out of curiosity, why is it interesting what
                    >Jews think about Jesus?

                    There seemed rather a hefty lot of discussion about just that when Mel
                    Gibson's movie came out- some of which even stemmed from Jewish folk on
                    this list. At that time there seemed to be considerable interest in what
                    Jews think of Jesus. What changed in the months since and why now is the
                    question even asked?

                    >What do Christians think about Mohammad?

                    That some of his modern followers seem hell bent on destroying everyone who
                    is not like them.

                    > what do
                    >they think about the Buddha?

                    Nothing at all.

                    >Best,

                    to you as well!

                    Jim

                    ++++++++++++++++++++
                    Jim West, ThD
                    "Critics are like eunuchs; they know what's supposed to happen, they just
                    can't do it themselves" -- S. Kierkegaard

                  • Lisbeth S. Fried
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
                      >>Just out of curiosity, why is it interesting
                      what
                      >>Jews think about Jesus?

                      >There seemed rather a hefty lot of discussion
                      about just that when Mel
                      Gibson's movie came out- some of which even
                      stemmed from Jewish folk on
                      this list. At that time there seemed to be
                      considerable interest in what
                      Jews think of Jesus. What changed in the months
                      since and why now is the
                      question even asked?>

                      I thought the discussion was about what Jews
                      thought of the movie,and how Jews were represented
                      in it!

                      >What do Christians think about Mohammad?

                      That some of his modern followers seem hell bent
                      on destroying everyone who
                      is not like them.

                      > what do
                      >they think about the Buddha?

                      Nothing at all.

                      That's what Jews think about Jesus.

                      Liz Fried

                      >Best,

                      to you as well!

                      Jim

                      ++++++++++++++++++++
                      Jim West, ThD
                      "Critics are like eunuchs; they know what's
                      supposed to happen, they just
                      can't do it themselves" -- S. Kierkegaard

                      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest Biblical Studies
                      Resources

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6
                      699735.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2495202/rand=49092
                      8208>

                    • Jim West
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
                        At 08:21 PM 1/11/2005, you wrote:

                        > >they think about the Buddha?
                        >
                        >Nothing at all.
                        >
                        >That's what Jews think about Jesus.

                        really? then what was David Flusser writing about? And Pinchas
                        Lapide? And Jacob Neusner?

                        Jim

                        ++++++++++++++++++++

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 11, 2005
                          _____

                          really? then what was David Flusser writing
                          about? And Pinchas
                          Lapide? And Jacob Neusner?

                          Jim

                          Dear Jim,

                          I bet we can find some Christians who study and
                          write about the

                          Buddha as well.

                          Liz

                          ++++++++++++++++++++
                          Jim West, ThD
                          "Critics are like eunuchs; they know what's
                          supposed to happen, they just
                          can't do it themselves" -- S. Kierkegaard

                          http://web.infoave.net/~jwest Biblical Studies
                          Resources

                          crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:

                          List managers may be contacted directly at:
                          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                          _____

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                          email to:
                          ject=Unsubscribe>

                          * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          the Yahoo! <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                          Terms of Service.

                        • C. McKinney
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 12, 2005

                            I can't speak for Rikk ("interesting" is so subjective), but I think that in
                            the absence of objectivity, a multiplicity of perspectives can help one form
                            a more accurate understanding of a subject. I am interested in what Jews
                            think about Jesus for some of the same reasons I am interested in what
                            feminists, the oppressed, or secular humanists think about Jesus.

                            Some would prefer that only the church be heard on Jesus, others that only
                            the academy have the authoritative word. I'm curious to hear from a wider
                            spectrum of voices.

                            Chris McKinney
                            Claremont Graduate University
                          • Rikk Watts
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                              TKS Mark,

                              This looks like it will do the job nicely.

                              Every blessing
                              Rikk

                              On 11/1/05 12:51 PM, "Mark Goodacre" <Goodacre@...> wrote:

                              > Rikk,
                              >
                              > This one may be of interest:
                              >
                              > Gerhard Bodendorfer, "Jewish Voices About Jesus", on-line article,
                              > Jewish-Christian Relations web site
                              > http://www.jcrelations.net/en/displayItem.php?id=738
                              >
                              > Mark
                              >

                              > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0800, Rikk Watts
                              > <rwatts@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Quick question:
                              >>
                              >> Does anybody know of a good survey article that deals with Jewish views of
                              >> Jesus? I would imagine it should run the gamut from lay to scholarly (e.g.
                              >> Vermes, Neusner) and from don't think at all to messianic fulfillment. Be
                              >> nice if it had some scholarly weight to it (footnotes on various writers
                              >> etc.).
                              >>
                              >> Thanks
                              >> Rikk
                              >>

                              >> The XTalk Home Page is http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/
                              >>
                              >> To subscribe to Xtalk, send an e-mail to:
                              >> crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                              >> List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
                              >>

                              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Rikk Watts
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                                OOPS, this was meant to private ‹ as are the other thankyous.. my apologies

                              • RSBrenchley@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                                  crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                  <<>What do Christians think about Mohammad?

                                  That some of his modern followers seem hell bent on destroying everyone who
                                  is not like them.>>

                                  Just as some Christians appear hell-bent on demonising Modammed and his
                                  followers, and have been at it in a big way since the fall of the Iron Curtain
                                  robbed them of their last great 'enemy'. Actually I have a more positive view;
                                  I'm a Methodist and my wife is a practicing Muslim. I see them as essentially
                                  different branches of the same religious tradition tradition, which have
                                  been separated by cultural and political factors, but perhaps not so far as most
                                  people think. There's a lot more to religion than Christology and the
                                  Doctrine of the Trinity after all, and it seems to me that we agree about more then
                                  we disagree on. But then I'm far from being an orthodox Christian.

                                  Regards,

                                  Robert Brenchley

                                • Jim West
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 13, 2005
                                    At 02:13 PM 1/13/2005, you wrote:

                                    > There's a lot more to religion than Christology and the
                                    >Doctrine of the Trinity after all, and it seems to me that we agree about
                                    >more then
                                    >we disagree on. But then I'm far from being an orthodox Christian.

                                    Along this line, and hopefully not completely off topic,

                                    Theres a very, very fine book by Jean-Louis Ska titled "Abraham et ses
                                    hotes: Le patriarche et les croyants au Dieu unique", Editions Lessius, 2001.

                                    He describes the great monotheistic religions in relation to Abraham. Its
                                    a very important book and generally overlooked. Sadly.

                                    Jim

                                    Jim West, ThD

                                    http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog