Re: [XTalk] Restoration

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 3, 2005
      Steve asked:

      >What does the "restoration" of Israel mean? If
      >someone can explain it, please do so on the level
      >of one peasant to another. Neither Jesus'
      >audiences nor I understand theological discourse.
      >...I guess you'll have to tell me what "Israel" is
      >too.

      Basically the gathering of the twelve tribes under
      particular disciples (who in turn answer to Jesus the
      "viceroy"); a heaven on earth where peace and justice
      reign, the dead have risen, and Judeans, Galileans,
      and Pereans are free from colonial rule; a new
      glorified temple has been established; etc. That's
      about what Sanders means by Israel being "restored".
      Why wouldn't Galilee be included? Some of the tribes
      originated up yonder, and Jesus was a Galilean.

      Why would peasants have been confused about these
      ideas? This vision ("restoration eschatology" is just
      scholarly jargon) is but a variant of the stuff
      promised by most millenarians -- stuff which indeed
      peasants often find appealing.

      =====
      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      rossoiii@...

      "In the natural sciences a person is remembered for his best idea; in the social sciences he is remembered for his worst."

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • John E Staton
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 6, 2005
        Rick wrote: "I wonder what a Galilean Darlek would look like"

        I haven't a clue, but I know what one would *say*:
        EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

        Incidentally, I apologise to our wonderful moderator for my earlier use of
        President Bush's favourite weapon: the pre-emotive strike!!

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org