Re: [XTalk] Restoration

  • SteveBlack
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 3, 2005
      On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:02 PM, sdavies0 wrote:

      > --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Loren Rosson <rossoiii@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> The eschatological prophet who
      >> looked for the restoration of Israel, obedient to
      >> Torah, does not square with Sanders' own breed of
      >> Christianity -- that is, liberal social-gospel
      >> Protestantism.
      >
      > I've heard this term before but I've never understood it. What does
      > the "restoration" of Israel mean? If someone can explain it, please
      > do so on the level of one peasant to another. Neither Jesus'
      > audiences nor I understand theological discourse. If Jesus told
      > people that he came to verb the "restoration" of Israel, what would
      > they have thought he meant by that? I guess you'll have to tell me
      > what "Israel" is too. Does it include Mayans? Galileans? Dead
      > people? Does it have boundaries or does it exist on the level of The
      > Idea?
      >
      > Steve Davies

      As a quick off the cuff answer - wouldn't it simply mean returning to
      the country her sovereignty?
      In other words getting those pesky Romans out of the land...

      Of course other more "spiritual" answers likely exist, but I suspect
      that they are derivative and that a "political" view point is the
      foundation. In ant event, this seems to be what Luke had in mind in
      Acts 1:6, which is the only occurrence I can think of right now of this
      expression in the NT.

      Steve Black
      The Toronto School of Theology
    • John E Staton
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 6, 2005
        Rick wrote: "I wonder what a Galilean Darlek would look like"

        I haven't a clue, but I know what one would *say*:
        EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

        Incidentally, I apologise to our wonderful moderator for my earlier use of
        President Bush's favourite weapon: the pre-emotive strike!!

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org