Re: [XTalk] The Streetlight Fallacy

  • sdavies0
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 3, 2005
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "John C. Poirier" <poirier@s...>
      wrote:
      > Steve,
      >
      > Thanks for your clarification of "creepy", but it brings up an
      interesting > question about your denigration of Sanders's view.
      You wrote: "[I]sn't it> creepy how everybody knows that people make
      their image of Jesus like > themselves and yet, having acknowledged
      this, away they go doing it anyhow."
      > Since you seemed, in your original post, to connect your use
      of "creepy" to > something Sanders does (with respect to his use of
      the synoptics and non-use > of Thomas), I really don't understand
      your comment.

      I'm sure the comment wasn't worth understanding. I have problems
      with John Meier's attempt to argue Thomas away into nothingness in
      his Marginal Jew 1, but I have to admit that the effort is a proper
      one for an historian. Here we have a text, Thomas, that many think
      to be of about equivalent value to the other historically useful
      texts(Q, Mark) and of greater value than the rest (John, GPhilip)
      and if you, as an historian, want to flat out ignore it, you must
      come up with reasons to do so. Which Meier does. Bad reasons, but
      reasons. (I don't want to get into that debate at this point
      though). Sanders, however, just pretends Thomas doesn't exist. Poof,
      he wishes it away and away it goes. I think Paula does too, but I
      can't say so with certainty. Now that is just incompetent
      historiography and not one bit above the level of Bible College
      professors who wouldn't even think of making use of non-canonical
      writings. Meier wouldn't think of doing it either but at least he
      tries to justify himself.

      Steve
    • John E Staton
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 6, 2005
        Rick wrote: "I wonder what a Galilean Darlek would look like"

        I haven't a clue, but I know what one would *say*:
        EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

        Incidentally, I apologise to our wonderful moderator for my earlier use of
        President Bush's favourite weapon: the pre-emotive strike!!

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org