RE: [XTalk] The Streetlight Fallacy

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 3, 2005
      Steve,

      Thanks for your clarification of "creepy", but it brings up an interesting
      question about your denigration of Sanders's view. You wrote: "[I]sn't it
      creepy how everybody knows that people make their image of Jesus like
      themselves and yet, having acknowledged this, away they go doing it anyhow."
      Since you seemed, in your original post, to connect your use of "creepy" to
      something Sanders does (with respect to his use of the synoptics and non-use
      of Thomas), I really don't understand your comment. Yes, way too many
      scholars reconstruct a Jesus of their own liking (with Crossan's being the
      most incredible instance of this), but isn't one of the (methodological)
      strengths of Sanders's reconstructed Jesus the fact that this Jesus *doesn't
      at all* correspond to the type of liberal Christianity that Sanders believes
      in?

      Do you detect a hint of Sanders's own reflection in his own reconstructed
      Jesus somewhere, or was I wrong to connect your use of "creepy" to Sanders's
      method (or did you use "creepy" in two different ways)?

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio
    • John E Staton
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 6, 2005
        Rick wrote: "I wonder what a Galilean Darlek would look like"

        I haven't a clue, but I know what one would *say*:
        EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

        Incidentally, I apologise to our wonderful moderator for my earlier use of
        President Bush's favourite weapon: the pre-emotive strike!!

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org