Re: [XTalk] What use is HJ research?

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 2, 2005
      [Bob]
      > Well, it gets us off-topic a little here, but to
      > call oneself a Christian
      > implies priorities, and to reduce Jesus to the level
      > of other "historical
      > figures, ethicists, philosophers, poets, novelists,
      > etc." seems to rater
      > reduce the priority level. At that point, why call
      > oneself a Christian?

      I'm afraid you'd have to ask a Christian like Dale. :)

      > I think you're abusing the word "fact", and since
      > you're a librarian, this surprises me.

      I'm actually choosing the word very carefully, and I
      stand my assessment -- the recent comments from Steve
      Davies about "Mark the spin-doctor" notwithstanding;
      people on this list know I don't take this approach to
      the question of Mark's reliability seriously, though I
      certainly ackowledge he makes things up to serve his
      agenda -- that Jesus was factually an apocalyptic.

      And what do you know? As I was reading Alan Segal's
      new book on the history of afterlife (in preparation
      for the Ludemann seminar), look what I ran across last
      night. Couldn't believe the coinicidence:

      "Jesus was an apocalypticist, at least in some of his
      teaching, and that fact must be faced squarely." (p
      388)

      We errant fools crawl out from under every rock, don't
      we, Bob?

      Segal is right. It really is a fact which should be
      faced squarely. The more I read material written by J
      Smith, B Mack, and W Arnal, the more this "fact" is
      reinforced in my mind.

      Perhaps after the Ludemann Seminar we could get
      Jonathan Smith to do a seminar on Drudgery Divine.

      =====
      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      rossoiii@...

      "In the natural sciences a person is remembered for his best idea; in the social sciences he is remembered for his worst."

      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
      http://my.yahoo.com
    • John E Staton
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 6, 2005
        Rick wrote: "I wonder what a Galilean Darlek would look like"

        I haven't a clue, but I know what one would *say*:
        EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

        Incidentally, I apologise to our wonderful moderator for my earlier use of
        President Bush's favourite weapon: the pre-emotive strike!!

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org