Re: [XTalk] The Streetlight Fallacy

  • Tony Buglass
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 2, 2005
      Jim responded to Patrick:
      >I don't think this analogy is on point.
      Actually it is only on point if one assumes that folk holding to something
      resembling historical christianity are drunks stumbling along in the
      dark. Not exactly a complimentary image- nor is it legitimate.

      I refer you back to Ted's original - Nasruddin wasn't drunk. There are lots of stories in similar vein concerning Nasruddin, many of which are in a collection called "The Song of the Bird" by Antony de Mello. He functions like the medieval fool, doing a stupid thing to show the rest of us that what we're doing is really the stupid thing. In the re-telling of the story, the guy who's lost his keys is drunk simply as a literary device to explain why he's looking for something in the wrong place. The drunkenness isn't a core element in the story, but a piece of 'gift-wrapping'. It probably draws on a commonplace in modern Western society, so it's a reasonably good modern parable. If we read too much into the details, we're in danger of allegorising, aren't we? So I don't object to being compared to a drunk - I just smile and point to Acts.2:13f.

      Further, I agree with Patrick's original point. The story is used in this discussion to suggest that HJ studies are looking in the wrong place just because there's more light. I suggest a better analogy would be folks looking for buried treasure, and examining the only place where there is disturbed earth. Whatever appears to be the literary and theological development of NT traditions about Jesus, it is unreasonable to assume they are *not at all* related to the historical figure who is claimed to be the source. You might wish to argue that we have to dig a long way down, or even that there will be little remaining when we get down there, but I suggest that this patch of disturbed earth is exactly the right place to dig.

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Superintendent Minister
      Upper Calder Methodist Circuit
      W Yorks

    • John E Staton
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 6, 2005
        Rick wrote: "I wonder what a Galilean Darlek would look like"

        I haven't a clue, but I know what one would *say*:
        EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

        Incidentally, I apologise to our wonderful moderator for my earlier use of
        President Bush's favourite weapon: the pre-emotive strike!!

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org