CNN Presents: Jesus

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2004
      The show is on right now here in Hawaii, with Aaron Brown as host. Amy Jill
      Levine, N.T. Wright, and Bart Ehrman are a few of the talking heads. But
      the narration mainly presents as fact many things that critical scholars
      might question. For example, instead of saying that "Luke wrote that Jesus
      said...", the narrator would say "Jesus said..."

      The narrator follows Ehrman and generalizes that scholars think that the
      Gospels were written backwards-- starting with a passion narrative. Wright
      is prominently quoted on the resurrection.

      I suppose that, as a mainstream broadcast in relatively prime time
      shortly after the Christian Right claims to have won the election, and the
      Presidency belongs to a man who favors "faith-based" human services, I
      supposed it is something of an accomplishment that, cloaked in a mantle of
      Biblical literalism, the show also subtly questions details here and there
      that will probably cause some conservatives to protest that the "liberal
      media" have "done it again."

      So, while it is not what I would call a critical success, given what it is
      and the audience it was addressing, I guess I won't complain.

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      Northern Arizona University
      Flagstaff, AZ