Re: [XTalk] Embarrassment and Mark 15.34

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
      I don't think Lamsa's translation, which is a combination of modern Assyrian
      idiom and a theological bent, is credible. Lamsa's translation is of the
      Peshitta which is a Syriac translation of the Greek New Testament. Jesus
      did not speak Syriac. Syriiac is a late Eastern dialect while Jesus spoke a
      MIDDLE Western dialect. The Matthean scribe copied Mark but redacted the
      line. I don't think he was that facile in Aramaic. Mark transliterated in
      Greek, ELWI ELWI LEMA SABAXQANI.

      sabaxqany is, in Aramaic, $bqtny, and it means "forsake/abandon-you-me"
      Jesus would have read scripture in Hebrew but expounded on it, in sermons,
      in his first language, Aramaic, or under great pain and stress. Mark 15:34
      is Psalms 22:1 and the embarrassment over the cry for some will just have to
      stand.

      Jack