RE: [XTalk] Embarrassment and Mark 15.34

  • James Hammond
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
      In The Holy Bible Aramaic translation by George M Lamsa, he translates it as
      ‘And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice and said, “Eli,
      Eli, lmana shabakthani! My God, My God, for this I was spared, this was my
      destiny”’ He therefore claims that Jesus is not quoting Psalm 22, stating
      that nashatani means ‘forsaken me’ whilst Sabachthani means ‘kept me’.

      The whole idea of God the Father 'turning his back' on Jesus seems
      impossible. Bob Passantino has an excellent article on this, titled "Did the
      Father Leave the Son on the Cross?" and James Oliver Buswell's Systematic
      Theology of the Christian Religion also goes into detail about this.

      I'm assuming I'm answering the right query in your posting!

      Regards
      James Hammond
      Pastor, Worldwide Church of God, Ramsey, United Kingdom