Re: [XTalk] Embarrassment and Mark 15.34

  • Pawel Glowacki
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      I have a question concerning Mk 15;34. An Israeli friend of mine with no
      knowledge of the Passion Story couldn't understand the words
      ELOI ELOI LAMA SABACHTHANI.
      Then we looked into The Book of Psalms in Hebrew and found that what is
      there is actually
      ELI ELI LAMA AZAVTANI,
      which made a perfect sense to her. Is the Hebrew part of Mk 15;34
      distorted? How is this explained?
      Pawel
    • James Hammond
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
        In The Holy Bible Aramaic translation by George M Lamsa, he translates it as
        ‘And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice and said, “Eli,
        Eli, lmana shabakthani! My God, My God, for this I was spared, this was my
        destiny”’ He therefore claims that Jesus is not quoting Psalm 22, stating
        that nashatani means ‘forsaken me’ whilst Sabachthani means ‘kept me’.

        The whole idea of God the Father 'turning his back' on Jesus seems
        impossible. Bob Passantino has an excellent article on this, titled "Did the
        Father Leave the Son on the Cross?" and James Oliver Buswell's Systematic
        Theology of the Christian Religion also goes into detail about this.

        I'm assuming I'm answering the right query in your posting!

        Regards
        James Hammond
        Pastor, Worldwide Church of God, Ramsey, United Kingdom

        I have a question concerning Mk 15;34. An Israeli friend of mine with no
        knowledge of the Passion Story couldn't understand the words ELOI ELOI LAMA
        SABACHTHANI.
        Then we looked into The Book of Psalms in Hebrew and found that what is
        there is actually ELI ELI LAMA AZAVTANI, which made a perfect sense to her.
        Is the Hebrew part of Mk 15;34 distorted? How is this explained?
        Pawel

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wpWolB/TM

        List managers may be contacted directly at:
        crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com