Re: [XTalk] Embarrassment and Mark 15.34

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      > You need to look at the LXX version of this!

      You mean IV Kings 20:1-11? Seems to read about the same.

      Mike
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
          Paul uses paradidomai in Romans 8:32 to mean that God delivered up
          Jesus. There is no reason to think that he thinks otherwise in 1 Cor.
          11:23 where Jesus is delivered up (paredideto).

          Steve Davies
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
            I don't think Lamsa's translation, which is a combination of modern Assyrian
            idiom and a theological bent, is credible. Lamsa's translation is of the
            Peshitta which is a Syriac translation of the Greek New Testament. Jesus
            did not speak Syriac. Syriiac is a late Eastern dialect while Jesus spoke a
            MIDDLE Western dialect. The Matthean scribe copied Mark but redacted the
            line. I don't think he was that facile in Aramaic. Mark transliterated in
            Greek, ELWI ELWI LEMA SABAXQANI.

            sabaxqany is, in Aramaic, $bqtny, and it means "forsake/abandon-you-me"
            Jesus would have read scripture in Hebrew but expounded on it, in sermons,
            in his first language, Aramaic, or under great pain and stress. Mark 15:34
            is Psalms 22:1 and the embarrassment over the cry for some will just have to
            stand.

            Jack