Re: [XTalk] Re: What color was Jesus

  • jtmcb553@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
      In a message dated 11/2/04 10:46:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      sdavies@... writes:

      > So far on this thread every single piece of evidence suggested has
      > indicated exactly the same thing, that men of that period wore their
      > hair short. That seems to me to be enough information to say one way
      > and not the other. After all, historical judgements rarely result
      > from perfect information.
      >
      > Steve Davies

      Hello Steve,

      Maybe I missed some of the evidence; but all I have seen is a mural that is
      dated two centuries after the fact and coins minted by a family that was not
      well loved by it's Jewish subjects. If I remember correctly, the Herods were not
      even really considered Jews by those they ruled over. As client rulers of
      Rome they were probably far more Hellenistic than say; the Essenes. I might be
      wrong, but I doubt they were examples for the more religious Jews who lived in
      Palestine in the first century.

      Now it is possible that John the Baptist, the Essenes and the Zealots, all
      wore their hair in the same style as the Herods. It is also possible that Jesus
      did too. But what is enough evidence for you, is not enough for me. C'est la
      vie.

      For the last 27 years I have worked in a business that is primarily Jewish. I
      have Jewish friends who are Hasidic, Orthodox, and what might be termed as
      secular. The Hasidic Jews wear long full beards, have payos at their temples and
      cut their hair down to the scalp. The Orthodox Jews dress conservatively,
      wear their hair at a normal length and always wear yarmulkes. For the most part,
      they are clean shaven. My more secular friends wear hair styles that run the
      gamut, depending on the fashion of the day. I've seen everything from Afros to
      pony tails.

      Maybe my personal experience tends to make me a little more skeptical on this
      issue.

      Regards,
      John

      Ps. Another interesting question might be: what is the origin for the
      depiction of Jesus as being long haired? How far can it be traced back; and if it
      does not represent a reality, how and why did it start?