[XTalk] Re: What color was Jesus

  • sdavies0
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, jtmcb553@a... wrote:

      > Just for the record, I have no need to validate a long haired
      Jesus. I just
      > don't think we have enough information to say, one way or the other.

      So far on this thread every single piece of evidence suggested has
      indicated exactly the same thing, that men of that period wore their
      hair short. That seems to me to be enough information to say one way
      and not the other. After all, historical judgements rarely result
      from perfect information.

      Steve Davies
    • jtmcb553@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
        In a message dated 11/2/04 10:46:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        sdavies@... writes:

        > So far on this thread every single piece of evidence suggested has
        > indicated exactly the same thing, that men of that period wore their
        > hair short. That seems to me to be enough information to say one way
        > and not the other. After all, historical judgements rarely result
        > from perfect information.
        >
        > Steve Davies

        Hello Steve,

        Maybe I missed some of the evidence; but all I have seen is a mural that is
        dated two centuries after the fact and coins minted by a family that was not
        well loved by it's Jewish subjects. If I remember correctly, the Herods were not
        even really considered Jews by those they ruled over. As client rulers of
        Rome they were probably far more Hellenistic than say; the Essenes. I might be
        wrong, but I doubt they were examples for the more religious Jews who lived in
        Palestine in the first century.

        Now it is possible that John the Baptist, the Essenes and the Zealots, all
        wore their hair in the same style as the Herods. It is also possible that Jesus
        did too. But what is enough evidence for you, is not enough for me. C'est la
        vie.

        For the last 27 years I have worked in a business that is primarily Jewish. I
        have Jewish friends who are Hasidic, Orthodox, and what might be termed as
        secular. The Hasidic Jews wear long full beards, have payos at their temples and
        cut their hair down to the scalp. The Orthodox Jews dress conservatively,
        wear their hair at a normal length and always wear yarmulkes. For the most part,
        they are clean shaven. My more secular friends wear hair styles that run the
        gamut, depending on the fashion of the day. I've seen everything from Afros to
        pony tails.

        Maybe my personal experience tends to make me a little more skeptical on this
        issue.

        Regards,
        John

        Ps. Another interesting question might be: what is the origin for the
        depiction of Jesus as being long haired? How far can it be traced back; and if it
        does not represent a reality, how and why did it start?