Re: [XTalk] Re: What color was Jesus

  • jtmcb553@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
      In a message dated 11/2/2004 3:27:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      RSBrenchley@... writes:
      I wonder whether there's another clue in the portraits of the Herod family
      on their coinage? They're always shown as wearing their hair short, and I
      wonder whether, say, Agrippa I would have adopted a radically different
      hairstyle
      from that of his Jewish subjects.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley
      Hello Robert,

      If I remember correctly; just the fact that they allowed their images to be
      put on coins, would have put them at odds with many of their Jewish subjects. I
      would imagine that there was a diversity of styles back then, just as there
      are today. Unfortunately, we don't have very much information on how the more
      zealous -- as opposed to the more Hellenistic -- Jews wore their hair. Though
      you are right, it is another clue to add to the equation.

      Just for the record, I have no need to validate a long haired Jesus. I just
      don't think we have enough information to say, one way or the other.

      Regards,
      John

    • sdavies0
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, jtmcb553@a... wrote:

        > Just for the record, I have no need to validate a long haired
        Jesus. I just
        > don't think we have enough information to say, one way or the other.

        So far on this thread every single piece of evidence suggested has
        indicated exactly the same thing, that men of that period wore their
        hair short. That seems to me to be enough information to say one way
        and not the other. After all, historical judgements rarely result
        from perfect information.

        Steve Davies
      • jtmcb553@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
          In a message dated 11/2/04 10:46:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          sdavies@... writes:

          > So far on this thread every single piece of evidence suggested has
          > indicated exactly the same thing, that men of that period wore their
          > hair short. That seems to me to be enough information to say one way
          > and not the other. After all, historical judgements rarely result
          > from perfect information.
          >
          > Steve Davies

          Hello Steve,

          Maybe I missed some of the evidence; but all I have seen is a mural that is
          dated two centuries after the fact and coins minted by a family that was not
          well loved by it's Jewish subjects. If I remember correctly, the Herods were not
          even really considered Jews by those they ruled over. As client rulers of
          Rome they were probably far more Hellenistic than say; the Essenes. I might be
          wrong, but I doubt they were examples for the more religious Jews who lived in
          Palestine in the first century.

          Now it is possible that John the Baptist, the Essenes and the Zealots, all
          wore their hair in the same style as the Herods. It is also possible that Jesus
          did too. But what is enough evidence for you, is not enough for me. C'est la
          vie.

          For the last 27 years I have worked in a business that is primarily Jewish. I
          have Jewish friends who are Hasidic, Orthodox, and what might be termed as
          secular. The Hasidic Jews wear long full beards, have payos at their temples and
          cut their hair down to the scalp. The Orthodox Jews dress conservatively,
          wear their hair at a normal length and always wear yarmulkes. For the most part,
          they are clean shaven. My more secular friends wear hair styles that run the
          gamut, depending on the fashion of the day. I've seen everything from Afros to
          pony tails.

          Maybe my personal experience tends to make me a little more skeptical on this
          issue.

          Regards,
          John

          Ps. Another interesting question might be: what is the origin for the
          depiction of Jesus as being long haired? How far can it be traced back; and if it
          does not represent a reality, how and why did it start?