[XTalk] Scope statement

  • Robert M. Schacht
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 1999
      On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:31:32 -0300 James R. Covey <jrcovey@...>
      writes:
      >... First -- sorry, Jeffrey, that I haven't got back to you in the last
      week and a half
      > about this scope statement thing. Yeah, sure, I'll take a crack at
      it, ccc...

      Please do.
      Meanwhile, I've been wanting to take a crack at it myself. So herewith is
      my opening gambit:

      The purpose of [Name of Journal] is to promote a timely, swift, and
      scholarly examination of the historical Jesus and the setting of his life
      and times. The scope includes not only an examination of words and deeds
      attributed to him, but also an evaluation of the historicity of reports
      of what his contemporaries said about him, and how the earliest sources
      evaluated the validity and reliability of the kinds of information
      available to them. Thus, the scope inevitably includes the analysis of
      information about how the early followers of Jesus thought about him and
      wrote about him. It also includes epistemological essays on how to
      evaluate claims of historicity, and the relative reliability of critical
      tools such as multiple attestation, the criterion of embarrassment, etc.

      OK, now its your move.

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht
      Northern Arizona University