Prophetism and Shamanism

  • Joseph Codsi
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2004
      I think one can say that the mid-Eastern prophet and the Siberian shaman
      have one thing in common: both involve some form of trans- or
      para-natural power, which sets them apart from ordinary people. The
      ancients spoke of spirit possession in the good sense. Today we tend to
      see in prophetism and shamanism human phenomena that defy our
      understanding in many ways.

      Thus Jesus the healer seems to have something in common with a shaman
      who can heal certain sicknesses. Some people are "healers" This is
      likely to be a psycho-somatic phenomenon. The difficulty is to account
      for it in some rational way.

      On Saturday, 23 October, 2004, Rikk Watts wrote:

      >>What is it about Jesus' shamanism/prophetism that he ends up so
      >>quickly being offered devotion previously given exclusively to Yahweh,

      >>and that by people who are otherwise still strict (Jewish)
      >>monotheists? This is, surely unquestionably, unique and suggests that
      >>although typical shamanism/prophetism might provide some parallels,
      >>they apparently fall short at this critical juncture.<<

      There is, in my opinion, no relation whatsoever between Jesus'
      shamanism/prophetism and the Easter revelation, which elevates him to
      the rank of lordship and divinity. After his death, Jesus became, in the
      eyes of his disciples, what he was not during his life. There is an
      unbridgeable gap between the historical Jesus and the resurrected
      Christ. We should not be duped by the fact that the Jesus we read about
      in the gospels is the product of a systematic transformation, which
      creates the illusion that he was, during his life, albeit in a
      mysterious way, what he was revealed to be after his death.

      Peace,
      Joseph