Re: [XTalk] Review of John Dominic Crossan's talk in Calgary

  • Zeba Crook
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004
      Ayse Tuzlak wrote:
      >I would have liked to hear him talk more
      >about the way that the suffering servant of Isaiah 53 got mixed up
      >with the idea of ancient Near Eastern sacrifice and then applied to
      >Jesus. (I hope he doesn't blame that on Anselm too!)

      I can venture an explanation. The evidence of proof-texting among
      early followers such as Matthew suggests they went trolling through
      their scriptures searching for texts that would a) help them come to
      terms with what happened, or b) help them understand what happened.
      Often this would be served by finding texts that could be used to
      "predict" what had happened. The answer to the troubling question "Why
      did our Mashiach suffer and die?" would be, "Because it was predicted
      that he would." In this way, the suffering servant notion was not part
      of "sacrifice" imagery until the *fact* of suffering of one who was
      sacrificed made it a necessary combination. It may have been Mark
      himself who did this first, or someone before Mark, but I suspect
      strongly that it was not someone before Jesus who did this.

      Cheers,

      Zeb

      Z.A. Crook
      Assistant Professor, Religion