Dating Gospels

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
      While having no particular problem with a late date for Matthew, I do have
      to query something Zeb wrote:
      "Since it seems very likely
      that Matt used Mark, and since it seems very likely that Matt has the
      destruction of Jerusalem in mind in 22:7, "

      The latter point may be correct, but Matthew's use of Mark does nor preclude
      a pre-70 date. Scholars in general too easily assume a date of around 70AD
      for Mark, though the evidence is fairly weak (two external authorities for,
      two against). Mark could, in fact have been written a lot earlier. There may
      well be other reasons why one may wish to date Matthew late, but an early
      Mark would make an earlier date for Luke possible, which could make a lot of
      sense.

      Best Wishes
      JOHN E STATON
      Penistone, Sheffield UK