RE: [XTalk] Flashbacks - Jesus and Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ

  • Bob Webb
    Message 1 of 151 , Oct 5, 2004
      Rikk,

      Obviously there is tremendous diversity in the "average viewer", not only in
      North America, but across the world. What I'm suggesting is that, amongst
      all that diversity, a majority of these "average viewers" are probably not
      really biblically literate. Many may know something about Jesus and the
      Bible, and they've heard stories, but I don't consider that to be biblically
      literate.

      Certainly the flashbacks are most interesting. I found writing that chapter
      a fascinating exercise (I had to go back and see the movie again, taking 12
      pages of notes to do it). The do relieve tension at times and they do
      present an larger picture of Jesus. But what I concluded was that the
      flashbacks were insufficient to provide an explanation for the "now" of the
      film--Jesus' violent end.

      Bob Webb.

    • Rikk Watts
      Message 151 of 151 , Oct 8, 2004