RE: [XTalk] RE: The Five Gospels

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 151 , Oct 5, 2004
      Steve Black says:

      >>Bultmann (hardly a "post-modernist") believed that any object of interest
      is firstly an object of *interest* - something that the investigator is
      interested in. This eliminates "detachment" right from the start. We ask
      about something because we care about something. This care is not detached -
      as care is never detached by definition. In addition Bultmann argued that
      our investigations and our results are completely determined by the
      questions we ask - thus there is no "objective" place to stand as it is
      always us who are asking the questions based upon our interests and upon
      what we already understand. I think Bultmann was on to something...<<

      Bultmann is interesting. While you do not think of him as a "post modernist"
      (I think you actually meant "relativist," which is not by any means the same
      thing), please keep in mind that "demythologizing" our conceptions about
      issues has traditionally been a post modernist exercise.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • Rikk Watts