Re: [XTalk] RE: The Five Gospels

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 151 , Oct 5, 2004
      Jim West wrote:

      >Just a question- does anyone actually believe that there is such a thing as
      >"scholarly detachment"? If so, could someone kindly explain how its
      >possible to be detached and simultaneously engaged?

      "Scholarly detachment"? Yes. *Pure* "scholarly detachment? No, but as
      far as methodology goes, that's beside the point. The unattainability
      of a purely detached standpoint does not call into question the attempt
      to be totally detached, any more than the unattainability of a purely
      random number calls into question the application of statistical
      methods. (What I am railing against, of course, is one of the several
      bogus arguments that make up the postmodernist approach: *viz.* the
      argument that 100% objectivity is impossible, therefore it is wrong or
      misguided to attempt to be objective.)

      At the same time, it is possible to wield the arguments suggested by an
      objective approach, yet to do so with obvious emotion, *particularly* if
      the emotion has been released by one's commitment to the conclusions of
      those arguments. So in that sense "scholarly detachment" and
      "emotion-filled response" are perhaps not purely antithetical, because
      the emotion might actually be triggered by the pursuit of better
      *scholarship*. In other word, "emotional" doesn't always mean
      "reactionary". Certainly one does not have to be completely emotionless
      to be committed to the best methods.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio
    • Rikk Watts