Re: [XTalk] RE: The Five Gospels

  • Steve Dingeldein
    Message 1 of 151 , Oct 4, 2004
      Interesting work on emotion and reason has been done by Antonio Damasio
      (Descartes Error: Reason, Emotion and the Human Brain) who is Van Allen
      Distinguished Professor of Neurology at the University of Iowa Medical
      Center shows that when the brain centers for emotion are injured (stroke,
      etc) that intact reason becomes dysfunctional. I don't dismiss the role of
      emotion in any intellectual endeavor, though I'd agree that it can "cloud"
      one's point of view.

      Steve Dingeldein

      > What intrigues me about comments such as above is how selective they can
      > be. Zeb clelarly doesn't like Tom Wright, and of course if you read eg
      > RSOG p.19, it is possible to catch something of the flavour of the
      > interaction; Wright describing Crossan's "non-too-subtle"" use of his
      > hypotheses in arguments against contemporary groups, in particular his
      > "angry polemic against Raymond Brown". Compare Crossan's own shot at
      > Wright's definition of the Third Quest as "either amusing impertinence or
      > annoying arrogance" (BOC p44). What's going on? My friend's passionate
      > argument is my opponent's emotional response? Perhaps tthe sentence
      > (amusing put-down, etc) which works well in a lecture or debate doesn't
      > spark the same way on the printed page or in the text of an email. That
      > might be the difficulty with reading Akensonn's "bear of little brain" as
      > it was intended to be heard?
      >
      > I have enjoyed reading all of these books, and proffitted greatly from
      > them (I think...). I don't think any one of them is free of a prior
      > agenda, and that is also true of the illustrious company on this list.
      > The most dangerous agenda is the one which is denied or unacknowledged - I
      > am aalways suspicious of the person who claims to be taking an entirely
      > objective approach. I read somewhere that the Jesus Seminar was first
      > launched in part as a response to US fundamentalism, in effect to
      > recapture the Bible and claim back the Jesus story from those who had
      > hijacked it. Be that as it may, the spin off of a closer look at
      > criteria, methodology and texts has certainly been fruitful.
      >
      > So I'd echo James Lewis''s query as to where folk think Wright departs
      > from his usual scholarly approach, with the plea that we don't frown too
      > much on passionate argument and even repartee where it helps the writer to
      > get his thoughts across. Makes it a lot more fun...
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Rev Tony Buglass
      > Superintendent Minister
      > Upper Calder Methodist Circuit