Re: 8th Annual E-Lister's gathering at SBL

  • gdawson22824
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4 8:07 AM
      > Looking forward to seeing you in Atlanta!

      Well, my plane tickets are to San Antonio, Texas. . .(sorry--
      couldn't resist)

      Gail Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
        With apologies for cross posting!

        Here is the final list of names of all E-Listers who have let me know
        that they
        will be attending the SBL Meeting (not all of whom, unfortunately, will
        be able to come to the E-Lister's gathering), along with notices of
        papers they are presenting and/or sessions in which they are
        participating/presiding.

        As ever,

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626
        jgibson000@...

        *******
        B-Greek

        John Schwandt (New St. Andrews College, National Biblical Greek Exam)
        No paper

        Cindy Westfall
        No paper--right now, I'm sceduled as a respondant to to papers Sunday
        at 9:00, but as a new co-chair of the Biblical Greek Language and
        Linguistics Section, I've stepped down and will chair it instead.

        Sandra Hack Polaski
        Paper: "New Creation: A New Beginning in Pauline Theology." in the
        Pauline Epistles Section, Session S23-13 a paper titled

        Randall Buth
        Paper: "Teaching Greek Outside of a Textbook" in S20-52 Best Practices
        in Teaching Workshop 11/20/2004 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM

        and

        "Double Frontings in Hebrew, Based on the Masoretic Torah" in S21-18
        Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew 11/21/2004 Sunday 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM

        Norman Hutchinson
        No Paper

        Carlton Winbery
        No Paper

        Joseph Weaks, Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
        No Paper

        Susan Jeffers, Adjunct faculty,Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham
        School of Religion
        I'm giving a paper at the Quaker Theological Discussion Group Meeting
        Friday evening (an Additional Meeting). It's a retrospective for the
        50th anniversary of our little journal "Quaker Religious Thought".

        *******
        Biblical Studies
        Naama Zahavi-Ely, College of William and Mary
        Paper: "The Convention of Multiple Speaking Voices in Biblical Hebrew
        Poetry"
        S22-32 Biblical Hebrew Poetry (this section is not in the printed
        program), 11/22/2004, 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM Room: #218 - San Antonio
        Convention
        Center

        Jim West
        No Paper

        ******
        Corpus Paulinum

        Kent L. Yinger, Assoc. Prof. of NT George Fox University
        No Paper

        Mark D. Nanos, Rockhurst University Soebbing Visiting Scholar
        Responding to papers on the subject of "Galatians and Images of Empire"
        in the Paul and Politics Group, S20-64, on Sat. 1pm to 3:30pm. Room
        CC-217C.

        Perry L. Stepp, Associate Professor of Biblical Studies Kentucky
        Christian University
        No Paper

        Ray Picket
        Presenting a paper entitled “Negotiating Community Identity in the
        Corinthian Assembly” in the Paul and Politics Group Saturday morning
        (S20-64), Saturday 1:00 pm.

        Eli Elliot
        Presiding for Paul & Politics Group Session S29-64 at 1:00pm on
        Saturday:
        Theme: Reports from Working Groups on "Peoples History" in
        Galatia/Galatians and Corinth/Corinthians
        Theme I: Galatians and Images of Empire
        Theme II: Negotiating Identity Boundaries: The Ekklesia in Roman Corinth

        Jerry L. Sumney, Professor of Biblical Studies, Lexington Theological
        Seminary
        Paper: "'I fill Up What is Lacking in the Afflictions of Christ:' Paul's
        Vicarious Suffering in
        Colossians." in the Disputed Paulines Consultation on Saturday
        afternoon.

        Brett Burrowes, Lecturer in Religious Studies, Siena College
        No Paper

        ******
        E-Matthew

        James C. Miller
        No Paper

        *******
        Megillot

        Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
        Paper: "Toward a Method of Tagging Hebrew Tense, Aspect, and Mood " in
        S20-108 Computer Assisted Research 11/20/2004 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM Room
        #207 - San Antonio Convention Center

        and

        "Greek Names for Hebrew and Aramaic: A Case for Lexical Revision" in
        S22-5 Biblical Greek Language and Linguistics 11/22/2004 9:00 AM to
        11:30 AM Room #214B - San Antonio Convention Center

        *******
        Hugoye

        Naomi Koltun-Fromm, Assoc. Prof. of Religion, Haverford College
        Paper: "Rabbinic Holiness between Chosenness and Spiritual Achievement"
        in S22-113: History and Literature of Early Rabbinic Judaism 4-6:30pm,
        11/22/04 room CC #213A.

        *******
        Ioudaios

        Robert A. Kraft, University of Pennsylvania
        Parer: "From Jewish Scribes to Christian Scriptoria: Issues of
        Continuity and Discontinuity" in
        SBL S22-110, "Early Jewish Christian Relations Section in concert with
        New Testament Textual
        Criticism and Papyrology and Early Christian Backgrounds, Monday, 4-6:30
        in CC-207

        Jim Davila, Lecturer in Early Jewish Studies, St. Mary's College,
        University of St. Andrews
        Paper: "Astrology and the Descenders to the Chariot"; Also chairing a
        session of the Early Jewish and Christian Mysticism Group

        *******
        John Lit

        Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., University of South Carolina Sumter
        No Paper

        Elizabeth Danna
        No Paper

        Stan Harstine, Friends University
        Paper: “Un-Doubting Thomas: Recognition Scenes in the Ancient World” in
        Johannine Section, Tuesday
        morning

        Michael Willett Newheart, Associate Professor of New Testament Language
        and Literature, Howard University School of Divinity
        Paper: "Fanning Fanon's Flame: Using the Afro-Caribbean Psychiatrist
        Frantz Fanon in Interpreting the Apocalyptic Texts of Terror," 9:00 am
        Saturday in the Psychology and Biblical Studies section

        *****
        Kata Markon

        Geert Van Oyen, University of Utrecht, the Netherlands
        Paper: "The Meaning of Jesus' Death in the Gospel of Mark. A Real Reader
        Perspective" in The Mark Group.

        Jesper Svartvik, Th.D., Fellow of the Swedish Research Council at Lund
        University, Centre for Theology & Rel. Studies
        Paper: "To Whom is the Chricstian Femal Slave in Thrall?" in the African
        American Hermeneutics Section

        *******
        Synoptic -L

        Stephen C. Carlson, Fairfax, VA
        Paper: "The Origin(s) of the "Caesarean" Text" in S20-62New Testament
        Textual Criticism Section, 11/20/2004, 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM Room #214B -
        San Antonio Convention Center

        Paul Buckley
        No Paper

        *******
        XTalk

        Zeba Crook
        Paper: "Modeling Exchange in the Biblical Era."
        Sunday Morning, S21-26 Social Sciences and the Interpretation of the
        Hebrew Scriptures Section,
        9-11:30am, CC-203.

        Mark Goodacre, Dept of Theology and Religion, University of Birmingham

        Paper: Scripturalization in Mark's Crucifixion Narrative
        (http://ntgateway.com/Markcrucif.doc), Mark Group, Sunday 21 November, 1
        pm.

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, Harry S Truman College
        Paper: "Once Again, the "Sign" of Jonah" in S20-68Synoptic Gospels
        11/20/2004 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
        Room: Room #204B - San Antonio Convention Center

        Gordon Raynal
        No Paper

        Gail Dawson
        No Paper

        Bob Webb
        Presenting a summary of a paper entitled "Intertexture and Argumentative
        Strategy within Priestly Discourse in First Peter" in the Rhetoric and
        the New Testament section (Saturday, 4pm - 6pm).

        ********