Re: [XTalk] RE: The Five Gospels

  • Tony Buglass
    Message 1 of 151 , Oct 4, 2004

      Zeb Crook (having already dismissed Wright because we all know where he's coming from"), wrote:
      > What's more, if is appear that emotion
      > is clouding the
      > person's judgement, then one should certainly
      > question the arguments.
      > My example of Akenson might be an example: calling
      > the JS an animal of
      > little Brain is not a critique, it's an insult. It
      > thus seems more an
      > emotional response than an intellectual one.

      One of the interesting things for me, coming back to HJ scholarship about 5 years ago after some years focussed on other things, was discovering how many of the books written in the field were in fact an ongoing conversation/argument between folk like Dom Crossan, Tom Wright, Marcus Borg, Luke Timothy Johnson, et al. The conversation/argument on this list has been lively at times, and the contributions have left us in no doubt where "folk have been coming from" - there have been some memorable exchanges with folk like Bill Arnal (wish he'd come back...), occasionally with a little steam and heat as well as the considerable light shed on the subject.

      What intrigues me about comments such as above is how selective they can be. Zeb clelarly doesn't like Tom Wright, and of course if you read eg RSOG p.19, it is possible to catch something of the flavour of the interaction; Wright describing Crossan's "non-too-subtle"" use of his hypotheses in arguments against contemporary groups, in particular his "angry polemic against Raymond Brown". Compare Crossan's own shot at Wright's definition of the Third Quest as "either amusing impertinence or annoying arrogance" (BOC p44). What's going on? My friend's passionate argument is my opponent's emotional response? Perhaps tthe sentence (amusing put-down, etc) which works well in a lecture or debate doesn't spark the same way on the printed page or in the text of an email. That might be the difficulty with reading Akensonn's "bear of little brain" as it was intended to be heard?

      I have enjoyed reading all of these books, and proffitted greatly from them (I think...). I don't think any one of them is free of a prior agenda, and that is also true of the illustrious company on this list. The most dangerous agenda is the one which is denied or unacknowledged - I am aalways suspicious of the person who claims to be taking an entirely objective approach. I read somewhere that the Jesus Seminar was first launched in part as a response to US fundamentalism, in effect to recapture the Bible and claim back the Jesus story from those who had hijacked it. Be that as it may, the spin off of a closer look at criteria, methodology and texts has certainly been fruitful.

      So I'd echo James Lewis''s query as to where folk think Wright departs from his usual scholarly approach, with the plea that we don't frown too much on passionate argument and even repartee where it helps the writer to get his thoughts across. Makes it a lot more fun...

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Superintendent Minister
      Upper Calder Methodist Circuit