8th Annual E-Lister's gathering at SBL

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
      Apologies for cross posting!

      It's that time of year again when the Society of Biblical Literature's
      Annual Meeting is just round the corner (Nov. 20th-Nov. 23rd) and I
      begin to arrange the now traditional (8th annual!) gathering of all
      those NT and Biblical e-list members (i.e. XTalkers, B-Greeks, and
      members of Corpus Paulinum, John Lit, Kata Markon, Biblical Studies, T-C
      List, Ioudaios, Synoptic-L, etc. ) who will be going to San Antonio for
      the SBL conference.

      [For those of you who do not know what the Society of Biblical
      Literature is and/or are unfamiliar with the SBL Annual Meeting, go
      first to

      http://www.sbl-site.org/

      and then to

      http://www.sbl-site.org/congresses/Congresses_AnnualMeeting.aspx%5d.

      The E-Lister's meeting is planned for Saturday, Nov. 20th at 11am in
      (as always) the Exhibition Hall and (with thanks to the stalwart
      representatives of the Gramcord Institute) at the Gramcord Institute
      Booth.

      As attendees of previous meetings know, this gathering is a great
      opportunity to place a face to an one hitherto known only as an
      electronic personality and/or to renew acquaintances made at previous
      SBLs.

      As I've done in the past 7 years in arranging this meeting, I'd like to
      get an advance head count of those of you who are intending to attend
      this year's SBL.

      I'd also like to know who among the intended attendees is presenting a
      paper during the conference (and at what time and place and within what
      SBL group or section and under what title).

      So this is the first call to write me OFF LIST at jgibson000@...
      and let me know

      (a) if you will be attending;

      (b) if and when and under what aegis you are presenting a paper,

      (c) your paper title, AND

      (d) what you consider to be your "home" E-List.

      I'll keep everyone updated as the info comes in to me.

      Again, write to me OFF LIST (jgibson000@...)

      Looking forward to seeing you in Atlanta!

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • gdawson22824
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
        > Looking forward to seeing you in Atlanta!

        Well, my plane tickets are to San Antonio, Texas. . .(sorry--
        couldn't resist)

        Gail Dawson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
          With apologies for cross posting!

          Here is the final list of names of all E-Listers who have let me know
          that they
          will be attending the SBL Meeting (not all of whom, unfortunately, will
          be able to come to the E-Lister's gathering), along with notices of
          papers they are presenting and/or sessions in which they are
          participating/presiding.

          As ever,

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626
          jgibson000@...

          *******
          B-Greek

          John Schwandt (New St. Andrews College, National Biblical Greek Exam)
          No paper

          Cindy Westfall
          No paper--right now, I'm sceduled as a respondant to to papers Sunday
          at 9:00, but as a new co-chair of the Biblical Greek Language and
          Linguistics Section, I've stepped down and will chair it instead.

          Sandra Hack Polaski
          Paper: "New Creation: A New Beginning in Pauline Theology." in the
          Pauline Epistles Section, Session S23-13 a paper titled

          Randall Buth
          Paper: "Teaching Greek Outside of a Textbook" in S20-52 Best Practices
          in Teaching Workshop 11/20/2004 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM

          and

          "Double Frontings in Hebrew, Based on the Masoretic Torah" in S21-18
          Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew 11/21/2004 Sunday 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM

          Norman Hutchinson
          No Paper

          Carlton Winbery
          No Paper

          Joseph Weaks, Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
          No Paper

          Susan Jeffers, Adjunct faculty,Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham
          School of Religion
          I'm giving a paper at the Quaker Theological Discussion Group Meeting
          Friday evening (an Additional Meeting). It's a retrospective for the
          50th anniversary of our little journal "Quaker Religious Thought".

          *******
          Biblical Studies
          Naama Zahavi-Ely, College of William and Mary
          Paper: "The Convention of Multiple Speaking Voices in Biblical Hebrew
          Poetry"
          S22-32 Biblical Hebrew Poetry (this section is not in the printed
          program), 11/22/2004, 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM Room: #218 - San Antonio
          Convention
          Center

          Jim West
          No Paper

          ******
          Corpus Paulinum

          Kent L. Yinger, Assoc. Prof. of NT George Fox University
          No Paper

          Mark D. Nanos, Rockhurst University Soebbing Visiting Scholar
          Responding to papers on the subject of "Galatians and Images of Empire"
          in the Paul and Politics Group, S20-64, on Sat. 1pm to 3:30pm. Room
          CC-217C.

          Perry L. Stepp, Associate Professor of Biblical Studies Kentucky
          Christian University
          No Paper

          Ray Picket
          Presenting a paper entitled “Negotiating Community Identity in the
          Corinthian Assembly” in the Paul and Politics Group Saturday morning
          (S20-64), Saturday 1:00 pm.

          Eli Elliot
          Presiding for Paul & Politics Group Session S29-64 at 1:00pm on
          Saturday:
          Theme: Reports from Working Groups on "Peoples History" in
          Galatia/Galatians and Corinth/Corinthians
          Theme I: Galatians and Images of Empire
          Theme II: Negotiating Identity Boundaries: The Ekklesia in Roman Corinth

          Jerry L. Sumney, Professor of Biblical Studies, Lexington Theological
          Seminary
          Paper: "'I fill Up What is Lacking in the Afflictions of Christ:' Paul's
          Vicarious Suffering in
          Colossians." in the Disputed Paulines Consultation on Saturday
          afternoon.

          Brett Burrowes, Lecturer in Religious Studies, Siena College
          No Paper

          ******
          E-Matthew

          James C. Miller
          No Paper

          *******
          Megillot

          Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
          Paper: "Toward a Method of Tagging Hebrew Tense, Aspect, and Mood " in
          S20-108 Computer Assisted Research 11/20/2004 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM Room
          #207 - San Antonio Convention Center

          and

          "Greek Names for Hebrew and Aramaic: A Case for Lexical Revision" in
          S22-5 Biblical Greek Language and Linguistics 11/22/2004 9:00 AM to
          11:30 AM Room #214B - San Antonio Convention Center

          *******
          Hugoye

          Naomi Koltun-Fromm, Assoc. Prof. of Religion, Haverford College
          Paper: "Rabbinic Holiness between Chosenness and Spiritual Achievement"
          in S22-113: History and Literature of Early Rabbinic Judaism 4-6:30pm,
          11/22/04 room CC #213A.

          *******
          Ioudaios

          Robert A. Kraft, University of Pennsylvania
          Parer: "From Jewish Scribes to Christian Scriptoria: Issues of
          Continuity and Discontinuity" in
          SBL S22-110, "Early Jewish Christian Relations Section in concert with
          New Testament Textual
          Criticism and Papyrology and Early Christian Backgrounds, Monday, 4-6:30
          in CC-207

          Jim Davila, Lecturer in Early Jewish Studies, St. Mary's College,
          University of St. Andrews
          Paper: "Astrology and the Descenders to the Chariot"; Also chairing a
          session of the Early Jewish and Christian Mysticism Group

          *******
          John Lit

          Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., University of South Carolina Sumter
          No Paper

          Elizabeth Danna
          No Paper

          Stan Harstine, Friends University
          Paper: “Un-Doubting Thomas: Recognition Scenes in the Ancient World” in
          Johannine Section, Tuesday
          morning

          Michael Willett Newheart, Associate Professor of New Testament Language
          and Literature, Howard University School of Divinity
          Paper: "Fanning Fanon's Flame: Using the Afro-Caribbean Psychiatrist
          Frantz Fanon in Interpreting the Apocalyptic Texts of Terror," 9:00 am
          Saturday in the Psychology and Biblical Studies section

          *****
          Kata Markon

          Geert Van Oyen, University of Utrecht, the Netherlands
          Paper: "The Meaning of Jesus' Death in the Gospel of Mark. A Real Reader
          Perspective" in The Mark Group.

          Jesper Svartvik, Th.D., Fellow of the Swedish Research Council at Lund
          University, Centre for Theology & Rel. Studies
          Paper: "To Whom is the Chricstian Femal Slave in Thrall?" in the African
          American Hermeneutics Section

          *******
          Synoptic -L

          Stephen C. Carlson, Fairfax, VA
          Paper: "The Origin(s) of the "Caesarean" Text" in S20-62New Testament
          Textual Criticism Section, 11/20/2004, 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM Room #214B -
          San Antonio Convention Center

          Paul Buckley
          No Paper

          *******
          XTalk

          Zeba Crook
          Paper: "Modeling Exchange in the Biblical Era."
          Sunday Morning, S21-26 Social Sciences and the Interpretation of the
          Hebrew Scriptures Section,
          9-11:30am, CC-203.

          Mark Goodacre, Dept of Theology and Religion, University of Birmingham

          Paper: Scripturalization in Mark's Crucifixion Narrative
          (http://ntgateway.com/Markcrucif.doc), Mark Group, Sunday 21 November, 1
          pm.

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, Harry S Truman College
          Paper: "Once Again, the "Sign" of Jonah" in S20-68Synoptic Gospels
          11/20/2004 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
          Room: Room #204B - San Antonio Convention Center

          Gordon Raynal
          No Paper

          Gail Dawson
          No Paper

          Bob Webb
          Presenting a summary of a paper entitled "Intertexture and Argumentative
          Strategy within Priestly Discourse in First Peter" in the Rhetoric and
          the New Testament section (Saturday, 4pm - 6pm).

          ********