Re: [XTalk] The Five Gospels

  • Zeba Crook
    Message 1 of 151 , Sep 30, 2004
      Dear Joseph,

      I kind of feel like there are two conversations happening here, where
      only vague allusions are being made to the other one. I would agree as
      a matter of principle that one should not reject emotional criticism
      before even engaging it. But the presence of emotion does not give it
      a validity either (which what I feel, possibly inaccurately, you are
      implying). What's more, if is appear that emotion is clouding the
      person's judgement, then one should certainly question the arguments.
      My example of Akenson might be an example: calling the JS an animal of
      little Brain is not a critique, it's an insult. It thus seems more an
      emotional response than an intellectual one.

      I have been a big fan of the JS, but when it comes time for me to look
      more closely at their methodology, I will certainly seek out reasoned
      critique so that I can understand their limitations, but I not be
      starting with people who cannot appear to take the first step, which is
      to at least accurately and empathetically represent the position they
      are challenging.

      Cheers,

      Zeb

      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com