The Five Gospels

  • Hapax Legomena
    Message 1 of 151 , Sep 29, 2004
      I'm leading a bright undergraduate student in an independent study
      focusing on the Historical Jesus. Over the past few weeks, we've gone
      through pretty much all of _The Five Gospels_, discussing the Jesus
      Seminar's methodology and their conclusions about what Jesus taught.

      Though both of us got a lot out of the book and found it useful, we
      have come up with some serious criticisms too. This has led me to
      wonder whether there is an article or a book-length study discussing
      the Jesus Seminar's methodology "in retrospect," as it were. What I
      would especially like to see is a dialogue between pro- and anti-JS
      folks, or a JS publication that reconsiders _T5G_'s methodology and
      explains what they would do differently if they had to do it all over
      again. I am especially curious about what the scholarly community has
      to say about the inconsistencies that exist in the JS's application of
      their own criteria of authenticity to their data (as opposed to
      critiques of the criteria themselves, though I'm interested in that
      too).

      Does such a study exist? I was considering writing out some of the
      questions and concerns that my student and I came up with, but I would
      rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

      Ayse Tuzlak
      Assistant Professor, Department of Religious Studies
      The University of Calgary
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    • Rikk Watts
      Message 151 of 151 , Oct 8, 2004