Christ-like 'fallacy'?

  • mollymowler
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2004
      Forgive me for intruding on the excellent dialogue on Festinger and
      Wright, but I need some help.
      I have to prepare a sermon for the weekend on 'being more like
      Christ.'

      My position on this is that it is a fallacy that is preached so
      often in Church, and seems to me quite illogical. We know that we
      cannot be 'more like Christ' in terms of omnipotence, omnisicence,
      etc., so what's left? To be more loving, kind, generous, empathetic,
      etc? But just because we have 'good days' where we've been a little
      better than the day before doesn't, IMHO, make us any more like
      Christ than before!

      I'm not aware of any scripture that emphatically states that we
      should become 'more Christ-like'. Okay, Paul tells us to grow in the
      grace and knowledge of Jesus...' but does this mean the same thing?
      And what about the context in which this is stated? Are there
      elements of anachronism and ethnocentrism on exactly what 'Christ-
      like' might even mean in various social settings as we in the
      western world percieve 'Christ-likedness'?

      Does anyone have any recommendations of good theological articles
      from contemporary (or otherwise) theologians who have addressed this
      issue? I've scoured most sites like the Context Group, NT Gateway,
      etc., to see if anyone has written about this, but nothing seems
      around, even from Bishop Spong! Only the usual endless websites
      churning out cliches and guilt-trip urgings to be good, do good, etc.

      Crosstalk is brilliant and clearly has fantastic theological minds
      as contributors. It is balanced, rational, contemporary and a great
      place to learn for a 'novice' theologian like me (I'm currently
      doing a BA in biblical interpretation).

      Any offers of help on this subject -- or even pointers -- gratefully
      accepted!

      James Hammond
      Pastor, Worldwide Church of God, Ramsey, United Kingdom