Re: [XTalk] Tertullian on the absurd (was "Ancient narratives of crucifixion")

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2004
      Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > That's fascinating, Stephen. How did I miss this?

      Stephen, I too am grateful to you for this clarification of Tertullian's
      phrase, although my interest may be different from Jack Kilmon's. I've
      been concerned about the postliberal turn from rationality (or, in their
      terms, the turn toward the conceit that theology has its own private
      rationality). I'm speaking here of Barth's conceit that a principial
      [sic] christocentrism inveighs against any marriage of theology and
      philosophy (in which Barth's use of "philosophy" includes any and all
      types of general rationality). Although the arguments offered in
      support of that turn are often too silly to worry about on an individual
      basis (esp. Hauerwas's argument that the use of any sort of
      foundationalist rationality is a defection from the position that Christ
      is "the Church's one foundation"), they are numerous and popular enough
      to cause some concern.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio