Re: [XTalk] Ancient narratives of crucifixion

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 55 , Sep 9, 2004
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, LeeEdgarTyler@a... wrote:

      > Depending upon how you date Mark's gospel, Josephus' account of
      the mass
      > crucifixions in his Jewish Wars could predate it. Granted that it
      is not an
      > account of a single person's crucifixion, but is certainly a
      crucifixion
      > narrative.

      Thanks for those thoughts. Agreed -- it is a narrative about
      crucifixion. What I am wondering about is whether Mark was the
      first to attempt to narrate the story of a named hero dying a
      crucified victim's death. If so, then it's worth bearing in mind
      that he is starting with something of a blank slate here, as it
      were. How on earth does one construct a story about someone dying
      of crucifixion? Where does one start? I wonder if we think about
      this sufficiently when we think about the origin of Mark's Passion
      Narrative.

      Mark
    • Joseph Codsi
      Message 55 of 55 , Sep 14, 2004
        Peter Kirby asked on Monday, September 13, 2004 5:20 AM

        <When you say Christian logic, is this equivalent to "the study of
        Christianity"?>

        Peter,

        Please excuse the ambiguity of my expression. Thank you for taking the
        time to ask for a clarification.

        I do not recall how the thread "Ancient narratives of crucifixion"
        turned into a discussion of the way psychologists have studied the birth
        of Christianity. But it seems to me that, the publication of _When
        Prophecy Fails_ did not remain an isolated event as far as
        pshychological research in the field of religion is concerned.

        I have read this book long time ago. I do not have access to it now. But
        as far as I recall, it was centered on the study of a very specific case
        and had nothing to do with the study of the "Christian phenomenon". (I
        use this expression as Teilhard de Chardin uses the expression: "human
        phenomenon". The appearance of man). The book shows the psychological
        consequences of faith and commitment. When the prediction of a specific
        event does not materialize at the specified time and in the specified
        form, the logical conclusion should be that the prediction was wrong.
        But faith and commitment do not easily accept error and failure. So the
        stronger they are, the stronger the refusal to admit error and defeat.

        No attempt is made in this book to extrapolate what concerns the birth
        and death of a short-lived sect into what pertains to the birth of
        Christianity. This sort of extrapolation seems to have been attempted
        later on.

        Unfortunately the knowledge I have of these extrapolations is limited to
        what transpired in our XTalk exchanges. I felt the need to go back to
        square one and study what has been attempted in the psychological field
        on this point.

        It appeared to me that the psychologists have been working alone on a
        difficult question, the study of which requires not only a certain
        familiarity with religious questions, but also an in-depth understanding
        of the Christian faith. By this I mean not only, as you put it
        correctly, "the study of Christianity", but also a feel for the problems
        with which we are entangled in the field of gospel scholarship. In the
        same way as we are faced with serious difficulties, so also the
        psychologists. Whence my idea: instead of working independently of one
        another, we would gain to work together.

        So I go back today to this simple proposition. Instead of criticizing
        what the psychologists have done so far, as Wright does in his book (and
        I am not saying that his criticism is not well-founded), I think that an
        intelligent collaboration between us can be useful. I am still waiting
        for someone else to second this proposition.

        I know that the mere fact of getting together and exchanging ideas will
        not be enough to entirely change the picture on both sides of the
        divide. In order for a real breakthrough to become possible, we must
        adopt a totally new approach to the Christian phenomenon. This is
        perhaps what makes the listers suspicious and not knowing what to think.
        You cannot judge the new approach I am advocating without knowing it.

        I admit, on the other hand, that rejection is what I fear. My
        proposition is likely to look preposterous to many of you. I fear to be
        treated as Paul was treated when he mentioned the word "resurrection" in
        his speech to the Athenians. So I am working on a "captatio
        benevolientiae" before I dare speak openly. If nobody is really
        interested to hear what I have to say, it makes no sense to say it. But
        I am counting on a curious mind to start a new thread.

        So long,
        Joseph

        Joseph Codsi
        P.O. Box 116-2088