Re: [XTalk] Re: Discipleship

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
      At 08:56 AM 9/7/2004, John E Staton wrote:
      >Bob,
      > I don't think we differ too much on the wider question. I am certainly
      >not a propounder of double predestination, and would (if anything) interpret
      >"cannot" in the weaker sense except where the stronger sense is reqired by
      >the context. As for who is (was) a disciple, I am sure it was not such an
      >open and shut case.

      That would be my point <g>

      > Have you read Jimmy Dunn's thoughts on "Circles of Discipleship" in
      > "Jesus Remembered"?

      No; what's he say?

      Bob

      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      University of Hawaii
      Honolulu, HI

    • John E Staton
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
        Bob,
        From memory, he suggests there were various "circles of discipleship"
        around Jesus, ranging from the "inner three" and the twelve at one end, to
        people who turned up whenever Jesus was in the neighbourhood at the other.
        In between we have the women who provided for his needs. There may also have
        been "regional" disciples (i.e they may have followed him around Galilee,
        but not accompanied him to Jerusalem. Not all of these will have "given up
        everything", and some may have remained members of their local communities.
        It may, however, be wise to do a bit of source criticism to
        determine how much of the forgoing is Jimmy Dunn, and how much is me.

        Best Wishes
        JOHN E STATON
        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.jestaton.org