Re: Discipleship

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7 11:56 AM
      Bob,
      I don't think we differ too much on the wider question. I am certainly
      not a propounder of double predestination, and would (if anything) interpret
      "cannot" in the weaker sense except where the stronger sense is reqired by
      the context. As for who is (was) a disciple, I am sure it was not such an
      open and shut case. Have you read Jimmy Dunn's thoughts on "Circles of
      Discipleship" in "Jesus Remembered"?

      Best Wishes
      JOHN E STATON
      Penistone, Sheffield UK
      www.jestaton.org
      jestaton@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7 10:05 PM
        At 08:56 AM 9/7/2004, John E Staton wrote:
        >Bob,
        > I don't think we differ too much on the wider question. I am certainly
        >not a propounder of double predestination, and would (if anything) interpret
        >"cannot" in the weaker sense except where the stronger sense is reqired by
        >the context. As for who is (was) a disciple, I am sure it was not such an
        >open and shut case.

        That would be my point <g>

        > Have you read Jimmy Dunn's thoughts on "Circles of Discipleship" in
        > "Jesus Remembered"?

        No; what's he say?

        Bob

        Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
        University of Hawaii
        Honolulu, HI

      • John E Staton
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8 11:57 AM
          Bob,
          From memory, he suggests there were various "circles of discipleship"
          around Jesus, ranging from the "inner three" and the twelve at one end, to
          people who turned up whenever Jesus was in the neighbourhood at the other.
          In between we have the women who provided for his needs. There may also have
          been "regional" disciples (i.e they may have followed him around Galilee,
          but not accompanied him to Jerusalem. Not all of these will have "given up
          everything", and some may have remained members of their local communities.
          It may, however, be wise to do a bit of source criticism to
          determine how much of the forgoing is Jimmy Dunn, and how much is me.

          Best Wishes
          JOHN E STATON
          Penistone, Sheffield UK
          www.jestaton.org