RE: [XTalk] BNTC part 2

  • Jacob Knee
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
      Ehrman's arguments for the originality of the Ps 2.7 text at Luke 3.22 are
      in 'The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture' p.62-67.

      As part of his argument there (and his lecture at BNTC) Ehrman states his
      view that it is 'a dubious premise that Luke [was] (logically) consistent in
      his use of christological titles and conceptions'(p64). He gives examples

      1. Luke's depiction of Jesus as Messiah.
      Jesus was born Christ (2.11), become Christ at baptism (Acts 10.37-38),
      became Christ at resurrection (Acts 2.36)

      2. Luke's depiction of Jesus as Lord
      Jesus is born Lord (2.11), is Lord while living (10.11), became Lord at
      resurrection (Acts 2.36)

      3. Son of God
      Jesus is born Son of God (1.32-35), Jesus descended Son of God according to
      genealogy (3.23-38), declared Son of God while living (eg 8.28), became Son
      of God at resurrection (Acts 13.33)

      He concludes 'This kind of titular ambiguity does not inspire confidence in
      claims that certain readings cannot be Lukan because they stand in tension
      with Luke's use of christological titles elsewhere'.

      If he is right about this - then it surely weakens his case that the infancy
      narratives weren't part of the first edition because they contrast with the
      rest of Luke.

      If he is not right about it - then it slightly weakens his case for the
      authenticity of the variant reading of 3.22 - especially if his hypothesis
      about the original edition of Luke lacking ch 1 - 2 is wrong.

      As it is I think his case for the variant reading at Luke 3.22 is very
      strong. However his argument about ch 1 - 2 is IMO much weaker and seems to
      require Luke to be consistent in a way that Ehrman himself has persuasively
      argued against.

      Best wishes,
      Jacob