[XTalk] The use of wine in Jesus Sitz im Leben

  • Daniel Grolin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 1999
      Dear X-talkers,

      In connection with a debate regarding alcohol abuse I recalled Crossan
      mentioning one quest'er who's Jesus was a recovering alcoholic. (As it
      happened this was also the case with the quest'er himself.)

      There is no evidence that Jesus, like James the brother, actively
      abstained from drinking as an act of piety. However, there are few
      questions that I would like to receive this lists comments on:

      1) Was fermenting grape-juice a practice common in all classes or was it
      restricted to retainers and upward?

      2) What value should be assigned to the remark in Luke 7:33-5 in this
      regard?

      3) What about the Eucharist? In the DSS Vermes argues (DSS in English, p.
      7) that "New Wine" refers to unfermented grape-juice. The expression
      appears in connection with the Lord's Supper in Mark. Was early
      Eucharistic meals with fermented or unfermented grape-juice?

      Regards,

      Daniel