Re: [XTalk] John the Baptist's Cave

  • Joseph Weaks
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
      On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:38 PM, Joseph Weaks wrote:
      > We do long for such connection, it's true...

      And as if to illustrate how popular (sensational?) such "discoveries"
      are, AP picked it up with a longer article:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=1&u=/ap/
      20040816/ap_on_sc/israel_john_the_baptist

      Here is a slide show of pics:
      javascript:%20rs(%22ss%22,%22http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/
      sc/081604johnbaptist&tmpl=sl&e=1%22,750,580);

      Furthering the madness,
      Joe

      Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
      Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
      Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
      j.weaks@...
    • Brian Trafford
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
        The press releases (from AP and other new sources) are related to
        the upcoming publication of a book by the chief archaeologist of
        this find, Shimon Gibson, entitled _The Cave of John the Baptist_.
        The find itself dates back to March 2000, with an article appearing
        on the web site for the University of North Carolina back in April
        2000 (the connection to JBap was already being proposed at that
        time) which can be read at:
        http://www.uncc.edu/public_relations/taborpottery.html

        A more recent article appeared on the web site of The Foundation for
        Biblical Archaeology, and includes pictures. It can be seen at
        http://www.tfba.org/projects.php?projectid=3

        From my readings, the evidence looks reasonable that the site was
        used for ritual washings, possibly in the 1st Century (something
        required by observant Jews of the period, and not just for baptism),
        but the connection to JBap seems to be based on some 5th Century
        drawings, and traditions held by the Orthodox (who built a church
        over the site sometime in the 6th Century). From this it looks like
        the probable connection of the cave to JBap is tenuous.

        Peace,
        Brian Trafford
        Calgary, AB, Canada