Re: [XTalk] John the Baptist's Cave

  • Patrick Narkinsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
      The article, with no registration required:

      http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
      set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1092654904786B216

      Patrick

      On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:41 AM, Jim West wrote:

      > News24.com reports
      >
      > http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,6119,2-13
      > -1443_1573719,00.html
      >
      > ++++++++++++++++++++
      >
      > Jim West, ThD
      > Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
      > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest Biblical Studies Resources

      > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:
      >
      > List managers may be contacted directly at:
      > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
        On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:38 AM, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
        > The article, with no registration required:
        >
        > http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
        > set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1092654904786B216

        Once again, the muddle of pipe dreams, nostalgia, and actual
        scholarship. This is laughable. A Byzantine wall etching of a guy
        holding a staff, reminiscent of JtB? Tee hee. Clearly, the presence of
        a ritual wash basin is the selling point. Wonder who's buying. But, an
        archeological report on JtB's cave sells much better than "Just another
        cave", I suppose. Reminds me of the shop in Ancient Corinth where they
        found an implement that might resemble something you would use in
        leatherworking... "Hey! This MUST be where Paul set up shop in
        Corinth."
        We do long for such connection, it's true. There's just no substitute
        for going to Jerusalem and doing a local tour. I have a profoundly
        spiritual experience "doing the Via De La Rosa", despite the guy
        peddling the piece of cross, or the nearby tour guide explaining how
        the indentation on the wall of the (5th c. CE) building is the spot
        where Jesus caught himself as he stumbled under the weight of the
        cross.

        See previous discussion on Shroud of Turin.

        Just my 2ยข,
        Joe

        Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
        Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
        Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
        j.weaks@...
      • Joseph Weaks
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
          On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:38 PM, Joseph Weaks wrote:
          > We do long for such connection, it's true...

          And as if to illustrate how popular (sensational?) such "discoveries"
          are, AP picked it up with a longer article:
          http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=1&u=/ap/
          20040816/ap_on_sc/israel_john_the_baptist

          Here is a slide show of pics:
          javascript:%20rs(%22ss%22,%22http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/
          sc/081604johnbaptist&tmpl=sl&e=1%22,750,580);

          Furthering the madness,
          Joe

          Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
          Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
          Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
          j.weaks@...
        • Brian Trafford
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
            The press releases (from AP and other new sources) are related to
            the upcoming publication of a book by the chief archaeologist of
            this find, Shimon Gibson, entitled _The Cave of John the Baptist_.
            The find itself dates back to March 2000, with an article appearing
            on the web site for the University of North Carolina back in April
            2000 (the connection to JBap was already being proposed at that
            time) which can be read at:
            http://www.uncc.edu/public_relations/taborpottery.html

            A more recent article appeared on the web site of The Foundation for
            Biblical Archaeology, and includes pictures. It can be seen at
            http://www.tfba.org/projects.php?projectid=3

            From my readings, the evidence looks reasonable that the site was
            used for ritual washings, possibly in the 1st Century (something
            required by observant Jews of the period, and not just for baptism),
            but the connection to JBap seems to be based on some 5th Century
            drawings, and traditions held by the Orthodox (who built a church
            over the site sometime in the 6th Century). From this it looks like
            the probable connection of the cave to JBap is tenuous.

            Peace,
            Brian Trafford
            Calgary, AB, Canada