Re: [XTalk] John the Baptist's Cave

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
      A longer version of that article (registration or LexisNexis access required)
      is at
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk search "baptist"

      Stephen Goranson
    • Patrick Narkinsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
        The article, with no registration required:

        http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
        set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1092654904786B216

        Patrick

        On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:41 AM, Jim West wrote:

        > News24.com reports
        >
        > http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,6119,2-13
        > -1443_1573719,00.html
        >
        > ++++++++++++++++++++
        >
        > Jim West, ThD
        > Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
        > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest Biblical Studies Resources

        > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:
        >
        > List managers may be contacted directly at:
        > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joseph Weaks
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
          On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:38 AM, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
          > The article, with no registration required:
          >
          > http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
          > set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1092654904786B216

          Once again, the muddle of pipe dreams, nostalgia, and actual
          scholarship. This is laughable. A Byzantine wall etching of a guy
          holding a staff, reminiscent of JtB? Tee hee. Clearly, the presence of
          a ritual wash basin is the selling point. Wonder who's buying. But, an
          archeological report on JtB's cave sells much better than "Just another
          cave", I suppose. Reminds me of the shop in Ancient Corinth where they
          found an implement that might resemble something you would use in
          leatherworking... "Hey! This MUST be where Paul set up shop in
          Corinth."
          We do long for such connection, it's true. There's just no substitute
          for going to Jerusalem and doing a local tour. I have a profoundly
          spiritual experience "doing the Via De La Rosa", despite the guy
          peddling the piece of cross, or the nearby tour guide explaining how
          the indentation on the wall of the (5th c. CE) building is the spot
          where Jesus caught himself as he stumbled under the weight of the
          cross.

          See previous discussion on Shroud of Turin.

          Just my 2ยข,
          Joe

          Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
          Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
          Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
          j.weaks@...
        • Joseph Weaks
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
            On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:38 PM, Joseph Weaks wrote:
            > We do long for such connection, it's true...

            And as if to illustrate how popular (sensational?) such "discoveries"
            are, AP picked it up with a longer article:
            http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=1&u=/ap/
            20040816/ap_on_sc/israel_john_the_baptist

            Here is a slide show of pics:
            javascript:%20rs(%22ss%22,%22http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/
            sc/081604johnbaptist&tmpl=sl&e=1%22,750,580);

            Furthering the madness,
            Joe

            Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
            Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
            Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
            j.weaks@...
          • Brian Trafford
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
              The press releases (from AP and other new sources) are related to
              the upcoming publication of a book by the chief archaeologist of
              this find, Shimon Gibson, entitled _The Cave of John the Baptist_.
              The find itself dates back to March 2000, with an article appearing
              on the web site for the University of North Carolina back in April
              2000 (the connection to JBap was already being proposed at that
              time) which can be read at:
              http://www.uncc.edu/public_relations/taborpottery.html

              A more recent article appeared on the web site of The Foundation for
              Biblical Archaeology, and includes pictures. It can be seen at
              http://www.tfba.org/projects.php?projectid=3

              From my readings, the evidence looks reasonable that the site was
              used for ritual washings, possibly in the 1st Century (something
              required by observant Jews of the period, and not just for baptism),
              but the connection to JBap seems to be based on some 5th Century
              drawings, and traditions held by the Orthodox (who built a church
              over the site sometime in the 6th Century). From this it looks like
              the probable connection of the cave to JBap is tenuous.

              Peace,
              Brian Trafford
              Calgary, AB, Canada