John the Baptist's Cave

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
      News24.com reports

      http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,6119,2-13-1443_1573719,00.html

      ++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD
      Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
        A longer version of that article (registration or LexisNexis access required)
        is at
        http://www.timesonline.co.uk search "baptist"

        Stephen Goranson
      • Patrick Narkinsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
          The article, with no registration required:

          http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
          set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1092654904786B216

          Patrick

          On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:41 AM, Jim West wrote:

          > News24.com reports
          >
          > http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,6119,2-13
          > -1443_1573719,00.html
          >
          > ++++++++++++++++++++
          >
          > Jim West, ThD
          > Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
          > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest Biblical Studies Resources

          > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:
          >
          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joseph Weaks
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
            On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:38 AM, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
            > The article, with no registration required:
            >
            > http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
            > set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1092654904786B216

            Once again, the muddle of pipe dreams, nostalgia, and actual
            scholarship. This is laughable. A Byzantine wall etching of a guy
            holding a staff, reminiscent of JtB? Tee hee. Clearly, the presence of
            a ritual wash basin is the selling point. Wonder who's buying. But, an
            archeological report on JtB's cave sells much better than "Just another
            cave", I suppose. Reminds me of the shop in Ancient Corinth where they
            found an implement that might resemble something you would use in
            leatherworking... "Hey! This MUST be where Paul set up shop in
            Corinth."
            We do long for such connection, it's true. There's just no substitute
            for going to Jerusalem and doing a local tour. I have a profoundly
            spiritual experience "doing the Via De La Rosa", despite the guy
            peddling the piece of cross, or the nearby tour guide explaining how
            the indentation on the wall of the (5th c. CE) building is the spot
            where Jesus caught himself as he stumbled under the weight of the
            cross.

            See previous discussion on Shroud of Turin.

            Just my 2ยข,
            Joe

            Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
            Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
            Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
            j.weaks@...
          • Joseph Weaks
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
              On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:38 PM, Joseph Weaks wrote:
              > We do long for such connection, it's true...

              And as if to illustrate how popular (sensational?) such "discoveries"
              are, AP picked it up with a longer article:
              http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=1&u=/ap/
              20040816/ap_on_sc/israel_john_the_baptist

              Here is a slide show of pics:
              javascript:%20rs(%22ss%22,%22http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/
              sc/081604johnbaptist&tmpl=sl&e=1%22,750,580);

              Furthering the madness,
              Joe

              Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
              Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
              Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
              j.weaks@...
            • Brian Trafford
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
                The press releases (from AP and other new sources) are related to
                the upcoming publication of a book by the chief archaeologist of
                this find, Shimon Gibson, entitled _The Cave of John the Baptist_.
                The find itself dates back to March 2000, with an article appearing
                on the web site for the University of North Carolina back in April
                2000 (the connection to JBap was already being proposed at that
                time) which can be read at:
                http://www.uncc.edu/public_relations/taborpottery.html

                A more recent article appeared on the web site of The Foundation for
                Biblical Archaeology, and includes pictures. It can be seen at
                http://www.tfba.org/projects.php?projectid=3

                From my readings, the evidence looks reasonable that the site was
                used for ritual washings, possibly in the 1st Century (something
                required by observant Jews of the period, and not just for baptism),
                but the connection to JBap seems to be based on some 5th Century
                drawings, and traditions held by the Orthodox (who built a church
                over the site sometime in the 6th Century). From this it looks like
                the probable connection of the cave to JBap is tenuous.

                Peace,
                Brian Trafford
                Calgary, AB, Canada