Re: [XTalk] [John_Lit] Movie based on GJohn

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
      At 09:01 AM 8/12/2004, you wrote:

      >This is not an academic review, but what with the Witherington rave thrown
      >in, I wonder if others on the list have seen this film, and if so, from the
      >historical point of view, how do you rate it? Is this a recent film, or one
      >made a number of years ago that is now attracting notice?
      >
      >Bob

      Mark Goodacre has seen every Jesus movie ever made, including this one,
      which he talked about on his blog sometime back (if memory serves).

      Jim

      ++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD
      Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
    • Bob Webb
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
        Bob,

        I have not seen the movie. But in the latest issue of JSHJ (2.2), Alan Segal
        writes a (rather negative) review of Gibson's "The Passion" and compares it
        with the movie, "The Gospel of John". He is able to give a few interesting
        insights with respect to historical portrayal, for Alan was on the academic
        advising committee for the movie ("John", not "Passion").

        Bob Webb.

      • Joseph Weaks
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
          On Aug 12, 2004, at 8:16 AM, Jim West wrote:
          > Mark Goodacre has seen every Jesus movie ever made, including this one,
          > which he talked about on his blog sometime back (if memory serves).

          The film is relatively new, released in the last part of last year.
          Here's the IMDB sheet:
          http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0377992/

          Carol Osiek, on faculty at Brite Divinity School where I am a doctoral
          candidate, was also on the academic advising committee. They took
          seminary students to go see the movie, and sung high praises of it.
          I have not seen Mark Goodacre's full comments on the film, but here are
          his initial responses:
          http://ntgateway.com/weblog/2004_01_25_archive.html#107516356973272711

          The Gospel of John film is an excellent example that the most
          satisfying telling of a life of Jesus, is one that takes AN account
          from A book.

          Joe Weaks

          Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
          Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
          Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
          j.weaks@...