[John_Lit] Movie based on GJohn

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
      With apologies for cross-posting, today I read:
      >The Gospel of John, a movie produced by Visual Bible International, has
      >received rave reviews by film critics. ChristianityTodayMovies.com gave it
      >four stars, and reviewer Ben Witherington called it "the best portrayal of
      >Jesus ever offered in a feature-length film."
      >
      >In the movie, we see Jesus teaching, praying, and interacting with people
      >in a way that's difficult to imagine simply from words on a page. To help
      >you discuss this excellent film with others, we've created a new
      ><http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?biblestudies+pzVu3c+gospelofjohn.html>Reel-to-Real
      >discussion guide for you to download.

      This is not an academic review, but what with the Witherington rave thrown
      in, I wonder if others on the list have seen this film, and if so, from the
      historical point of view, how do you rate it? Is this a recent film, or one
      made a number of years ago that is now attracting notice?

    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
        At 09:01 AM 8/12/2004, you wrote:

        >This is not an academic review, but what with the Witherington rave thrown
        >in, I wonder if others on the list have seen this film, and if so, from the
        >historical point of view, how do you rate it? Is this a recent film, or one
        >made a number of years ago that is now attracting notice?
        >
        >Bob

        Mark Goodacre has seen every Jesus movie ever made, including this one,
        which he talked about on his blog sometime back (if memory serves).

        Jim

        ++++++++++++++++++++

        Jim West, ThD
        Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
      • Bob Webb
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
          Bob,

          I have not seen the movie. But in the latest issue of JSHJ (2.2), Alan Segal
          writes a (rather negative) review of Gibson's "The Passion" and compares it
          with the movie, "The Gospel of John". He is able to give a few interesting
          insights with respect to historical portrayal, for Alan was on the academic
          advising committee for the movie ("John", not "Passion").

          Bob Webb.

        • Joseph Weaks
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
            On Aug 12, 2004, at 8:16 AM, Jim West wrote:
            > Mark Goodacre has seen every Jesus movie ever made, including this one,
            > which he talked about on his blog sometime back (if memory serves).

            The film is relatively new, released in the last part of last year.
            Here's the IMDB sheet:
            http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0377992/

            Carol Osiek, on faculty at Brite Divinity School where I am a doctoral
            candidate, was also on the academic advising committee. They took
            seminary students to go see the movie, and sung high praises of it.
            I have not seen Mark Goodacre's full comments on the film, but here are
            his initial responses:
            http://ntgateway.com/weblog/2004_01_25_archive.html#107516356973272711

            The Gospel of John film is an excellent example that the most
            satisfying telling of a life of Jesus, is one that takes AN account
            from A book.

            Joe Weaks

            Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
            Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
            Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
            j.weaks@...