Re: [XTalk] Luke 11: the LP

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2004
      On July 25, 2004, Bob Schacht asked:

      >>First, what do we know about what John taught his disciples about how to
      pray, which is what the petitioner had in mind that prompted the question?
      I suspect that J the B was as much concerned about attitude and method as
      he was by precise words. When he called for repentance, was that meant to
      be an act of prayer, or a social act of some kind (e.g., making amends)?<<

      Bob,

      I would approach this question in terms of Luke's general attitude towards
      the form of Judaism claiming John as its founder and its relationship to
      Luke's own form of Christianity. The two puzzling passages in Acts
      18.24-28, 19.1-7 suggest to me that the two groups were in some sense parts
      of a larger movement within Judaism and that Luke was concerned to bring
      "Johannine Christianity" (to borrow Conzelmann's term) into conformity with
      what he regarded as normative Christianity. The use of a specific prayer in
      Lk. 11.1-4, like baptism in the Holy Spirit in Acts 19, may have been part
      of this process. So I would agree with William Arnal that Luke's concern in
      the introduction to the LP has to do with constructing a sectarian identity.

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      kaolson@...