giants' shoulders; serendipity Re: [XTalk] Because things are a little slow...

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2004
      There's a wonderful book that, in a humorous and scholarly way, traces the
      saying back from Newton to Bernard:

      Merton, Robert King
      On the Shoulders of Giants: A Shandean Postscript (1965; new ed. 1985)

      This same author, with Elinor Barber, wrote a second wonderful book, before
      the above. After years sitting in a drawer it's finally in print:

      The Travels and Adventures of Serendipity (Princeton UP, 2004). On
      where "serendipity," the word, came from and how it has fared.

      Stephen Goranson

      {....]