Because things are a little slow...

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
      I ran across this quote today and think it well worth sharing, as I think it
      nicely summarizes the condition of all of us who spend our lives trying to
      "see" (and it is as well a self justification for my occassional mention of
      our predecessors here). I beg the forgiveness of those who think this
      little note improper but still hope others of gentler nature will find it
      meaningful:

      "We are dwarfs perched on the shoulders of giants. Thus we see more things
      than they did and farther than they did, not because our sight is sharper or
      our height greater, but because they lift us into the sky and raise us up by
      means of their gigantic stature" -- Bernard of Chartres, 12th Century.

      Best

      Jim
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church

      "Was bedeutets, daß man viele Bücher macht und doch dem rechten Hauptbuch
      immer fernbleibet? Trink doch vielmehr aus dem Brunnen selbst als aus den
      Flüßlein, die dich zum Brunnen geleitet haben". -- Martin Luther
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2004
        There's a wonderful book that, in a humorous and scholarly way, traces the
        saying back from Newton to Bernard:

        Merton, Robert King
        On the Shoulders of Giants: A Shandean Postscript (1965; new ed. 1985)

        This same author, with Elinor Barber, wrote a second wonderful book, before
        the above. After years sitting in a drawer it's finally in print:

        The Travels and Adventures of Serendipity (Princeton UP, 2004). On
        where "serendipity," the word, came from and how it has fared.

        Stephen Goranson

        {....]