Re: [XTalk] Book on The Passion

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2004
      Zeba Crook wrote:

      > What strikes me as
      > interesting about it immediately is the range of
      > scholars collected here
      > in terms of where they sit on the proverbial
      > liberal-conservative scale.
      > I think that bodes very well for a balanced
      > assessment.

      It may, however, be a superficial assessment. The
      blurb in Publisher's Weekly implies that Crossan and
      Goodacre alone offer any substance:

      "For Crossan, The Passion presents a 'vision of a
      savage God' animated by anti-Semitism... For Goodacre,
      the film can be seen as an 'extraordinary powerful
      vision' in which the anti-Semitic tendencies in
      Gibson's sources have been muted... Unfortunately, the
      remaining essays in this book, by an even-handed
      assortment of scholars, rarely equal Crossan's and
      Goodacre's incisive arguments...[their] nuggets of
      insight are obscured by wooden interpretations that
      rarely do justice to Gibson's passionate, provocative
      filmmaking." (7/12/04, p 60)

      Having read Crossan's review of the film months ago --
      which is itself a wooden (and sanctimonious)
      interpretation -- I'm pretty much going to be reading
      this book for Mark Goodacre's essay(s). Hopefully I'll
      be pleasantly surprised by some of the other
      contributors as well.

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      rossoiii@...