RE: [XTalk] In the Temple

  • Linda & Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2004
      This thread previously entitled: Jews in Acts, has moved to new ground.

      [Mike Grondin]
      >What Neusner work is this from?<
      The Mishnah: A New Translation, Yale UP 1988 pp 252: Sheqalim

      [Jim West]
      >mishnaic tradition is terribly difficult to date<

      Right; but the description clearly relates to second temple era.

      Archaeological evidence that suggests trading took place outside sacred
      precincts can complement, rather than contradict, the testimony of m.Sheq.
      Trading in animals and produce for sacrifice was required year round. The
      heavier demands of festival crowds, and the additional transactions
      associated with gathering temple tax and pledges, called for extraordinary
      facilities. The description of tables being set up in the provinces and
      subsequently in the temple not only supports the gospels' witness that they
      were there for Jesus to topple, but also implies that they were not there
      at all times.

      I pick up mixed messages regarding the Tyrian shekel. It was obligatory for
      the temple tax, but was it required for other transactions?

      [John E Staton]
      >Not sure I buy in to your heavily political reading of Luke here<

      Understood; and I do acknowledge having a bee in my bonnet about tax these
      days - probably a reaction to a recent RCA audit. Nevertheless, Matthew
      does introduce the gospel with a decree by Augustus preparatory to taxing
      the world; tax collectors pop up frequently in the synoptics as
      controversial figures; there is a plethora of radical teaching relating to
      poverty and the redistribution of wealth; mammon is set in opposition to
      the KofG; and the litmus test for the rich becoming disciples has nought to
      do with spiritual exercises or doctrinal correctness, but willingness to
      prime the economic revolution. Luke brings this socio-economic theme to
      culmination with an execution for alleged tax rebellion alongside convicted
      insurrectionists. He is not entirely alone in this.

      On the other hand, people have worked long and hard at suppressing the
      political message in favour of more ethereal themes, with astonishing
      success.

      Regards,

      Ernie Pennells
      220 - 50 Songhees Road, Victoria BC, Canada V9A 7J4
      http://www.lukeacts.com
      Tel: (250) 381 5674