RE: [XTalk] RE: RE: "Jews" in John and Acts

  • Linda & Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2004
      [John E. Staton]
      >It may well be, however, that the stories about the tax harveters are being
      told with an eye to the dispute concerning Gentile believers in Luke's day<

      Mmmmm ... that demotes the taxation issue more than I feel willing to grant.
      Criticism of Jesus' attitude to table fellowship started from a local tax
      office in Galilee, according to the synoptics. This escalated to a public
      insurrectionist dispute over the denarius in Jerusalem after what, IMHO,
      was a public demonstration against temple tax just after Jesus had been
      given a messianic welcome. Luke adds a powerful demonstration of
      willingness to embrace a high profile Roman tax official - Zacchaeus.

      Previous discussions on XTalk have aired this theme, and I would add
      m.Sheqalim 1.3: "On the fifteenth of that same month [Adar] they set up
      money changers tables in the provinces. On the twenty-fifth [of Adar] they
      set them up in the temple. Once they were set up in the temple, they began
      to exact pledges [from those who had not paid the tax in specie]" (Jacob
      Neusner translation, 1988). At face value, this establishes a connection
      between money changers IN THE TEMPLE, and temple tax.

      Taxation was an explosive issue in Roman-Jewish relationships, given high
      profile by Josephus as well as the synoptic gospels. It plays a prominent
      role in the political profile of the gospels.

      The divisive issue for gentile mission was whether gentile converts should
      become Jews. For me, that debate is in different territory.

      Regards,

      Ernie Pennells
      220 - 50 Songhees Road, Victoria BC, Canada V9A 7J4
      http://www.lukeacts.com
        > m.Sheqalim 1.3: "On the fifteenth of that same month [Adar] they
        > set up money changers tables in the provinces. On the twenty-
        > fifth [of Adar] they set them up in the temple. Once they were
        > set up in the temple, they began to exact pledges [from those
        > who had not paid the tax in specie]" (Jacob Neusner translation,
        > 1988). At face value, this establishes a connection between
        > money changers IN THE TEMPLE, and temple tax.

        Ernie-

        What Neusner work is this from? What is "m.Sheqalim"? What year is
        being talked about?

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI
      • pennells@islandnet.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2004
          Hope to reply on Friday, when I am back at base.

          Regards, Ernie