Re: [XTalk] exegesis

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2004
      At 03:56 PM 6/21/04 -0300, you wrote:
      >I was sought by a friend, that works at a Christian publisher, of reformed
      orientation.

      >They want to publish, in Portuguese, a basic manual for Biblical Exegesis.
      >
      >Do you have some suggestion?

      I don't know of any in Portugese, but if they are looking for a volume to
      translate, they really couldn't do better than Odil Hannes Steck's "Exegese
      des Alten Testaments". True enough it is focused on the OT, but in point of
      fact the tools are the same for NT exegesis.

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.blogpspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog

      "Wir verstehen die Alten nicht, wenn wir uns nicht gegenwärtig halten, daß
      nach ihrem Glaubensstand Gott durch den Pastor spricht" -- Adolf Schlatter
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2004
        At 03:56 PM 6/21/04 -0300, you wrote:
        >I was sought by a friend, that works at a Christian publisher, of reformed
        orientation.

        >They want to publish, in Portuguese, a basic manual for Biblical Exegesis.
        >
        >Do you have some suggestion?

        Sorry- sent too soon. If they are not interested in Steck, I might humbly
        suggest a small (30 page) booklet I wrote for students titled "Methods For
        the Study of the Bible".

        Best

        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Dr Jim West
        Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
        http://biblical-studies.blogpspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog

        "Wir verstehen die Alten nicht, wenn wir uns nicht gegenwärtig halten, daß
        nach ihrem Glaubensstand Gott durch den Pastor spricht" -- Adolf Schlatter
      • Pastor Isaias
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
          Thanks Dr. Jim West

          I wrote for the brazilian publisher and I sent your message.

          He told me that the project of translation of them is Gordon Fee, New Testament Exegesis.

          Do you know this book?

          Soli Deo Gloria

          Isaias

        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
            At 09:43 AM 7/1/04 -0300, you wrote:

            >He told me that the project of translation of them is Gordon Fee, New
            Testament Exegesis.

            >Do you know this book?

            Yes, it's excellent. I don't imagine they could do better.

            Jim

            Dr Jim West
            Pastor, Petros Baptist Church

            "Worinn ich üch gedienen kan, hyssend; wil ich alle zyt gehorsam syn"-
            Huldrych Zwingli (ZW 4,389).