Re: [biblical-studies] Emmerich

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      From: "Jim West" <jwest@...>
      To: <biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 9:39 AM
      Subject: [biblical-studies] Emmerich

      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=5294944

      > PARIS (Reuters) - The 19th century German nun whose blood-soaked visions
      of
      > Jesus's death inspired Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of The Christ" will
      > soon be put on the path to sainthood, Catholic Church officials have said.
      >
      > Anne Catherine Emmerich, a sickly mystic who lived from 1774 to 1824, has
      > already reached near cult status among traditionalist Roman Catholics for
      > her book that gave Gibson the grisly details the Gospels did not provide.
      >
      > The Vatican says Pope John Paul II will beatify Emmerich for her virtuous
      > life, not her best-selling book, but the Oct. 3 ceremony will further
      > publicize her Passion accounts that some critics denounce as medieval and
      > anti-Semitic.

      I am sure she will not be the first nor the last rabidly anti-Semitic person
      who sees and hears things (strongly suggestive of schizophrenia and
      hysteria) to achieve sainthood. Of course, Emmerich did not write the book.
      The book was written posthumously by Klemens Brentano.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Marcos, TX
    • Brian Trafford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        Just curious is this is something that belongs on this list, as I do
        not see what it has to do with the subject.

        Thanks,

        Brian Trafford
        Calgary, AB, Canada